Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow
Police in Abbotsford say a 31-year-old man is dead after being hit by a snowplow this morning. Officers say the man lost control of his vehicle on Highway 1 and went into the ditch.

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says
Four children under the age of 10 who had streptococcal infections have died since mid-December, in what the BC Centre for Disease Control says is part of a surge in such infections. A bulletin released by the centre, the Provincial Health Services Authority and BC Children's Hospital says data from 2023 show a three-fold increase in invasive group A streptococcal infections in people under 20. 

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says

B.C. Coroners Service reports 36 outdoor deaths to start year, 5 on cold Jan. 12

B.C. Coroners Service reports 36 outdoor deaths to start year, 5 on cold Jan. 12
British Columbia's Coroners Service is reporting the outdoor deaths of 36 people during the early days of January when the province was in the grip of a record-breaking cold snap. Coroners Service data for the days from Jan. 1 to 16 show the highest number of people dying on Jan. 12, a day when numerous low temperature records were broken across B.C.

B.C. Coroners Service reports 36 outdoor deaths to start year, 5 on cold Jan. 12

Shooting & robbery attempt suspect in Surrey faces numerous charges

Shooting & robbery attempt suspect in Surrey faces numerous charges
A 21-year-old man faces numerous charges following a shooting and robbery attempt in Surrey earlier this month. Police say they were called on January 7th when a person was assaulted during a robbery and a single shot was discharged into the air. 

Shooting & robbery attempt suspect in Surrey faces numerous charges

Man hit by vehicle in Abbotsford

Man hit by vehicle in Abbotsford
A man is in critical condition after being hit by a vehicle in Abbotsford. Police say the pedestrian accident happened this morning on North Parallel Road. The driver stayed at the scene and is co-operating with the investigation.

Man hit by vehicle in Abbotsford

Israeli envoy joins calls for Canada to clarify its stance on ICJ genocide case

Israeli envoy joins calls for Canada to clarify its stance on ICJ genocide case
Israel's envoy to Canada is joining calls for the federal Liberals to clearly state Ottawa's position as the International Court of Justice considers an allegation of genocide against Israel.  Iddo Moed says Canada should "leave no room for misinterpretation" on its stance, noting that many of Canada's allies and peers have stated a clear position on the case.

Israeli envoy joins calls for Canada to clarify its stance on ICJ genocide case