Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Wildfire Doubles In Size In Southern B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Aug, 2019 08:01 PM
  • Wildfire Doubles In Size In Southern B.C.

VANCOUVER - The BC Wildfire Service says a fire burning in British Columbia's southern Interior doubled in size over a 24-hour period to about 2.5 square kilometres.

 

More than 100 people, supported by aircraft and heavy equipment, are battling the blaze that broke out Aug. 4 north of Oliver.

 

The fire activity had calmed late Monday, but that could change as Environment Canada forecasts the heat will remain in the low- to mid-30s through the week, with no rain forecast until Saturday.

 

An evacuation alert prompted by the fire was issued Monday by the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen which covers 206 properties north of Oliver.

 

Steep and rocky terrain is complicating firefighting efforts and the wildfire service says a structure protection specialist and incident management team are at the scene.

 

Cool and damp conditions in July kept a lid on the wildfire risk across B.C.

 

The wildfire service says a suspected lightning-caused blaze discovered Sunday in northwestern B.C., has already charred 44 square kilometres of timber west of Telegraph Creek.

 

No structures are threatened and the flames are believed to be spreading slowly to the east, but a social media post from the service says smoke is highly visible in Telegraph Creek, nearly 50 kilometres to the east.

 

Twenty-one homes in that community were destroyed by a wildfire last year that razed more than 12-hundred square kilometres of bush and forced an evacuation that continued for 102 days.

 

The wildfire service still lists that blaze as a "wildfire of note" because of extreme drought conditions in the region and the potential for flames that smouldered underground over the winter to erupt again as another hot spell arrives.

 

Anyone conducting activity in the Cassiar Fire Zone, which includes the area west of Telegraph Creek where the current large blaze is burning, should use extreme caution, says the online post from the wildfire service.

 

Just under 600 wildfires have been recorded in B.C. since the wildfire season began on April 1, with 29 currently active.

 

This time last year, there had been 1,468 fires recorded across the province, the fire service says.

 

The service says 57 per cent of the 2019 wildfires were human-caused, while lightening is blamed for the remainder.

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD Identifies Victim In City’s Fifth Homicide As 33-year-Old Vaughan Bradley Lim

VPD Identifies Victim In City’s Fifth Homicide As 33-year-Old Vaughan Bradley Lim
Vancouver Police have identified 33-year-old Vaughan Bradley Lim as the victim in the city’s fifth homicide.

VPD Identifies Victim In City’s Fifth Homicide As 33-year-Old Vaughan Bradley Lim

Couple Loses Almost Everything When U-Haul Stolen In Abbotsford, B.C.

U-Haul moving truck was packed with almost all the couple's possessions when it was stolen from a hotel parking lot in Abbotsford sometime between last Friday night and Saturday.

Couple Loses Almost Everything When U-Haul Stolen In Abbotsford, B.C.

Supercar Impounded 10 Minutes After Owner Picked It Up From Dealership: Police

Police say in a news release that a traffic officer saw a 2019 McLaren 600L-T supercar travelling at a high rate of speed westbound on Highway 1 near 15th Street on June 17.

Supercar Impounded 10 Minutes After Owner Picked It Up From Dealership: Police

Extensive Search Now Suspended For New Brunswick Man Thomas Hines Missing In B.C.

Thomas Hines, who recently moved from Sackville, N.B., to the small community of Egmont, B.C., was last seen on June 17, canoeing on Waugh Lake, not far from his new home.

Extensive Search Now Suspended For New Brunswick Man Thomas Hines Missing In B.C.

Richmond RCMP Seeking Public Assistance In Identifying Purse Snatcher

Richmond RCMP responded to a business in the 7100 block of No. 3 Road on June 17, 2019 shortly after 6 pm.

Richmond RCMP Seeking Public Assistance In Identifying Purse Snatcher

Guns, High-end Handbags And Liquor Seized In Robbery Investigation By Burnaby RCMP

Two people alleged to have committed break and enters across the Lower Mainland are facing serious charges after being arrested by Burnaby RCMP’s Strike Force Unit last week.

Guns, High-end Handbags And Liquor Seized In Robbery Investigation By Burnaby RCMP