Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Aug, 2024 10:43 AM
  • Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Many parts of northern Manitoba are under an air quality warning due to wildfire smoke, which is also causing reduced visibility.

Environment and Climate Change Canada says the amount of smoke can fluctuate over short distances and can vary considerably from hour to hour.

The weather agency recommends people stay indoors and avoid strenuous activity, especially seniors, pregnant people and those with respiratory issues.

The province is currently dealing with more than 70 active wildfires, both natural and human-caused.

A large blaze near Bunibonibee Cree Nation has prompted the evacuation of thousands of residents as winds push the fire closer to the community.

The wildfire is estimated to be 10 kilometres south of the community and roughly 57 square kilometres in size.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore
Police say the suspect vehicle fled the scene and was found burned in Surrey, B.C., later that same night. No one has yet been arrested in connection to the shooting. RCMP is asking anyone who saw a grey Jaguar SUV in the area on Wednesday or who may have witnessed the shooting to contact police.

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say two people were arrested after a 32-year-old man brought a dead infant to a hospital. Police say a second injured child was later found and brought to the hospital for a medical assessment.  

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence
British Columbia has announced a new three-year action plan that it says aims to end stigma around gender-based violence and ensure access to supports. The plan includes building more housing for women and children leaving violence, expanding cell service to make travel safer, and adding 75 new sexual assault support programs -- 22 of which are specifically for Indigenous women.  

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political
The mayor of Alberta's largest city says she won't attend the annual menorah lighting ceremony to mark the beginning of Hanukkah because she believes it's too political, but her decision led to a backlash from the Jewish community and Conservative politicians. Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek posted a statement on the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter, saying Thursday's ceremony at city hall has been repositioned as an event to support Israel.

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed
The oil and gas industry will have to cut emissions by more than one-third within seven years or buy offset credits under a new federal policy. A cap on emisisons from the fossil fuel sector had been promised by the Liberals since the 2021 election, but the announcement Thursday spelled out exactly how much the government will ask the industry to cut.

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on Dec. 1, when a single death had been recorded.

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double