Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jul, 2021 09:50 AM
  • Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.

All but small corners of British Columbia are now ranked at a high to extreme risk of wildfires as continuing hot, dry and windy conditions fuel the more than 300 blazes raging in most regions of the province.

Evacuation orders affecting more than 1,400 properties are posted for 10 of the 26 fires currently listed by the B.C. Wildfire service as potentially threatening or highly visible.

Most of the orders cover huge areas of the central Interior but residents of 41 properties in the Okanagan, west of Peachland, were ordered out before dawn as the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen says a new fire threatens safety.

The wildfire service website shows the roughly 80-hectare wildfire is one of at least 19 sparked overnight, adding to fires elsewhere in the province that have closed Highways 97 and 20, key transportation routes through the Cariboo.

Those fires have also prompted an evacuation alert for the entire community of 100 Mile House, menaced by an 87-square kilometre blaze that broke out last week, while alerts also cover the villages of Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Savona as a nearly eight-square kilometre fire reported Monday remains uncontrolled.

More than 1,760 square kilometres of land has burned in B.C. since the wildfire season began on April 1, and Environment Canada shows no end in sight for drought-like conditions, although forecasters say the central Cariboo could see a trace of rain by the weekend.

MORE National ARTICLES

Search for potential GG candidates finished

Search for potential GG candidates finished
Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc says a short list of potential candidates to become Canada's next governor general will be in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's hands in "the next few days."

Search for potential GG candidates finished

Alberta says Keystone loss 'calculated decision'

Alberta says Keystone loss 'calculated decision'
Alberta’s finance minister says the province's $1.3-billion investment of taxpayers’ money in the now-defunct Keystone XL oil pipeline project was a prudent gamble given the potential payoff in profits and jobs.

Alberta says Keystone loss 'calculated decision'

Double murder probe in B.C. leads to another body

Double murder probe in B.C. leads to another body
RCMP say in a release that officers went to the home of a woman in Naramata on Wednesday in relation to the deaths of Erick and Carlos Fryer, whose bodies were found in a remote location near the town last month.

Double murder probe in B.C. leads to another body

153 COVID19 cases for Thursday

153 COVID19 cases for Thursday
There are currently 1,910 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 176 individuals are currently hospitalized, 49 of whom are in ICU.

153 COVID19 cases for Thursday

StatCan says immigrants early victims to COVID-19

StatCan says immigrants early victims to COVID-19
Canadian neighbourhoods where visible minorities live had a COVID-19 death rate about two times higher than areas that had a low proportion of immigrants, says a study from Statistics Canada.

StatCan says immigrants early victims to COVID-19

Watchdog says RCMP breached privacy law

Watchdog says RCMP breached privacy law
In a report today, privacy commissioner Daniel Therrien says there were serious and systemic failings by the RCMP to ensure compliance with the Privacy Act before it gathered information from U.S. firm Clearview AI.

Watchdog says RCMP breached privacy law