Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jul, 2021 09:50 AM
  • Wildfires prompt evacuation orders, alerts in B.C.

All but small corners of British Columbia are now ranked at a high to extreme risk of wildfires as continuing hot, dry and windy conditions fuel the more than 300 blazes raging in most regions of the province.

Evacuation orders affecting more than 1,400 properties are posted for 10 of the 26 fires currently listed by the B.C. Wildfire service as potentially threatening or highly visible.

Most of the orders cover huge areas of the central Interior but residents of 41 properties in the Okanagan, west of Peachland, were ordered out before dawn as the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen says a new fire threatens safety.

The wildfire service website shows the roughly 80-hectare wildfire is one of at least 19 sparked overnight, adding to fires elsewhere in the province that have closed Highways 97 and 20, key transportation routes through the Cariboo.

Those fires have also prompted an evacuation alert for the entire community of 100 Mile House, menaced by an 87-square kilometre blaze that broke out last week, while alerts also cover the villages of Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Savona as a nearly eight-square kilometre fire reported Monday remains uncontrolled.

More than 1,760 square kilometres of land has burned in B.C. since the wildfire season began on April 1, and Environment Canada shows no end in sight for drought-like conditions, although forecasters say the central Cariboo could see a trace of rain by the weekend.

MORE National ARTICLES

Economy lost 68,000 jobs in May: StatCan

Economy lost 68,000 jobs in May: StatCan
Statistics Canada says the economy lost 68,000 jobs in May as lockdowns to slow the spread of COVID-19 continued. The losses marked the second consecutive month of declines after 207,000 jobs were lost in April.

Economy lost 68,000 jobs in May: StatCan

'Reasonable effort' made to follow rules: Kenney

'Reasonable effort' made to follow rules: Kenney
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says he and his ministers made every reasonable effort to comply with health rules during a surreptitiously photographed whiskey-drinks dinner on the patio of the infamous "Sky Palace."

'Reasonable effort' made to follow rules: Kenney

Trans Mountain told stop tree cutting on project

Trans Mountain told stop tree cutting on project
The Canada Energy Regulator has issued an order stopping tree cutting and grass mowing across the entire $12.6-billion Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

Trans Mountain told stop tree cutting on project

U.S. to share COVID-19 vaccines with Canada

U.S. to share COVID-19 vaccines with Canada
The offer comes as Canada's vaccine rollout is nearing the best in the world, and at the same time as pressure is mounting on the Canadian government to start sharing some of its COVID-19 vaccines as well.

U.S. to share COVID-19 vaccines with Canada

Canada, allies demand compensation from Iran

Canada, allies demand compensation from Iran
Foreign ministers from those countries, who lost citizens and residents when the jetliner was shot down shortly after taking off from Tehran in January 2020, said in a statement that Iran's "actions and omissions amount to breaches of international law."

Canada, allies demand compensation from Iran

B.C. AstraZeneca recipients can choose second dose

B.C. AstraZeneca recipients can choose second dose
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says those who received the AstraZeneca vaccine earlier this year made "the right choice" in getting vaccinated, and helped to ease the COVID-19 caseload in the province.

B.C. AstraZeneca recipients can choose second dose