Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Winemaker Norman Hardie Denies Some Misconduct Allegations, Says 'Many' Are True

The Canadian Press, 21 Jun, 2018 01:13 PM
    WELLINGTON, Ont. — Ontario winemaker Norman Hardie is disputing parts of a report detailing accusations of sexual misconduct against him, while admitting that "many" of the allegations are true.
     
     
    The Globe and Mail reported numerous misconduct allegations against Hardie on Tuesday, including unwanted sexual contact and inappropriate remarks.
     
     
    The winemaker told the newspaper he does not "physically grab people or touch them against their will," but later affirmed a former employee's claim that he tried to kiss her on her first day of work.
     
     
    Hardie released a statement Wednesday apologizing to those who felt "marginalized, demeaned or objectified" while working alongside him.
     
     
    He said some of the allegations against him aren't true, but "many are." He did not specify which of the reported allegations he believed to be true or false.
     
     
    Hardie said he's been working for several years to change his behaviour. He said that after being contacted by reporters several months ago, he hired an "independent advisor" to conduct a review of the workplace culture at his winery in Wellington, Ont.
     
     
    Hardie said the assessment was completed in April and "did not find any examples of sexual harassment in the workplace today."
     
     
    Hardie added that his team has begun implementing some of the recommendations from the review, including providing specific training on harassment.
     
     
    "We have made good progress. But there is still work to be done, particularly as it applies to me personally," he said in a statement posted to his website, Normanhardie.com.
     
     
    "All I can promise is that I will work hard every day to earn back your trust in the days, months and years ahead."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power After British Columbia Ice Storms

    Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power After British Columbia Ice Storms
    Freezing Rain Knocked Out Power To More Than 5,000 Customers, Most In Abbotsford And Mission

    Tens Of Thousands Still Without Power After British Columbia Ice Storms

    Successful Campaign To Cut Thefts From Auto Leads To Arrests In Vancouver

    Successful Campaign To Cut Thefts From Auto Leads To Arrests In Vancouver
    Const. Jason Doucette says concerns were raised after the number of thefts jumped dramatically in November compared with the same time last year.

    Successful Campaign To Cut Thefts From Auto Leads To Arrests In Vancouver

    Group Of Montreal Work Colleagues Win $60-Million Lotto Max Jackpot

    Group Of Montreal Work Colleagues Win $60-Million Lotto Max Jackpot
    MONTREAL — A somewhat secretive group of Montrealers who recently won the $60-million Lotto Max grand prize picked up their cheques Wednesday and were presented to the media.

    Group Of Montreal Work Colleagues Win $60-Million Lotto Max Jackpot

    Feds Axe $1,000 Fee For Certain Families To Hire Foreign Nannies, Caregivers

    Feds Axe $1,000 Fee For Certain Families To Hire Foreign Nannies, Caregivers
    OTTAWA — Some families seeking foreign caregivers to look after their children or family members with a disability will be exempt from paying a $1,000 application fee.

    Feds Axe $1,000 Fee For Certain Families To Hire Foreign Nannies, Caregivers

    Group Raises Money To Fund New Home For Survivor Of Quebec City Mosque Shooting

    Group Raises Money To Fund New Home For Survivor Of Quebec City Mosque Shooting
    Aymen Derbali, a father of three, was one of the more than 50 people inside the mosque when a shooter opened fire last Jan. 29, killing six.

    Group Raises Money To Fund New Home For Survivor Of Quebec City Mosque Shooting

    Second Alberta Teen Dies After Being Found Unconscious In Idling Car

    EDMONTON — A second teenager has died after he and his girlfriend were found unconscious in an idling vehicle in central Alberta.

    Second Alberta Teen Dies After Being Found Unconscious In Idling Car