Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Winemaker Norman Hardie Denies Some Misconduct Allegations, Says 'Many' Are True

The Canadian Press, 21 Jun, 2018 01:13 PM
    WELLINGTON, Ont. — Ontario winemaker Norman Hardie is disputing parts of a report detailing accusations of sexual misconduct against him, while admitting that "many" of the allegations are true.
     
     
    The Globe and Mail reported numerous misconduct allegations against Hardie on Tuesday, including unwanted sexual contact and inappropriate remarks.
     
     
    The winemaker told the newspaper he does not "physically grab people or touch them against their will," but later affirmed a former employee's claim that he tried to kiss her on her first day of work.
     
     
    Hardie released a statement Wednesday apologizing to those who felt "marginalized, demeaned or objectified" while working alongside him.
     
     
    He said some of the allegations against him aren't true, but "many are." He did not specify which of the reported allegations he believed to be true or false.
     
     
    Hardie said he's been working for several years to change his behaviour. He said that after being contacted by reporters several months ago, he hired an "independent advisor" to conduct a review of the workplace culture at his winery in Wellington, Ont.
     
     
    Hardie said the assessment was completed in April and "did not find any examples of sexual harassment in the workplace today."
     
     
    Hardie added that his team has begun implementing some of the recommendations from the review, including providing specific training on harassment.
     
     
    "We have made good progress. But there is still work to be done, particularly as it applies to me personally," he said in a statement posted to his website, Normanhardie.com.
     
     
    "All I can promise is that I will work hard every day to earn back your trust in the days, months and years ahead."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Thief Complains Of 'Slim Pickings' In Delta – More People Leaving Vehicles Empty

    An experienced property thief who was recently arrested offers an unusual perspective to our residents.

    Thief Complains Of 'Slim Pickings' In Delta – More People Leaving Vehicles Empty

    Lyft Ride-Hailing App Arrives In Toronto, Marking Its First Expansion Outside US

    Lyft Ride-Hailing App Arrives In Toronto, Marking Its First Expansion Outside US
    TORONTO — Ride-hailing service Lyft will be available in Toronto starting today.

    Lyft Ride-Hailing App Arrives In Toronto, Marking Its First Expansion Outside US

    Suspended Sentence For Saskatchewan Man Who Threatened Prime Minister Trudeau

    Suspended Sentence For Saskatchewan Man Who Threatened Prime Minister Trudeau
    SASKATOON — A Saskatchewan man will not have to spend any time in jail for threatening on social media to kill Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

    Suspended Sentence For Saskatchewan Man Who Threatened Prime Minister Trudeau

    BC Government To Go Ahead With Site C Hydroelectric Dam Project

    The Site C hydroelectric dam will be completed with the backing of British Columbia's NDP government, but it is warning the price tag will be higher than estimated.

    BC Government To Go Ahead With Site C Hydroelectric Dam Project

    New Host Of CBC Vancouver Morning Show STEPHEN QUINN Set To Start 'Dream Job' On Jan. 2

    New Host Of CBC Vancouver Morning Show STEPHEN QUINN Set To Start 'Dream Job' On Jan. 2
      The station has announced Stephen Quinn will become the new host of The Early Edition starting Jan. 2.

    New Host Of CBC Vancouver Morning Show STEPHEN QUINN Set To Start 'Dream Job' On Jan. 2

    B.C. Coroner Says Fentanyl Detected In Most Of 1,208 Deaths Up To October

    B.C. Coroner Says Fentanyl Detected In Most Of 1,208 Deaths Up To October
    The BC Coroners Service says the latest figure compares with 683 deaths during the same period last year.

    B.C. Coroner Says Fentanyl Detected In Most Of 1,208 Deaths Up To October