Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Winter wallop continues across Canada, cancelling classes and stranding trucks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Dec, 2025 02:19 PM
  • Winter wallop continues across Canada, cancelling classes and stranding trucks

Winter continued its late-December march east across Canada Friday, closing classes and stranding trucks.

Schools in many areas of southern Manitoba were closed for the second day in a row due to blowing snow and poor road conditions. 

Environment Canada said travel is likely to be hazardous because of near-zero visibility, and road closures in affected areas may be a possibility. 

Winter storm warnings have also been issued across north-central Ontario and into Quebec, where meteorologists are expecting between 30 and 50 centimetres of snow.

A truck driver stranded on a snow-covered highway south of Cochrane, Ont., for about 24 hours said the fire department had started to offer him and others rides into town to restock on groceries, shower and get a warm meal. 

While he was disappointed by the initial lack of official communication, Karim Forget was grateful for the help from firefighters.

“These are great people, very good-hearted people,” said Forget, in a phone interview from his truck.

He said about four feet of snow was piled against his tractor trailer packed with Quebec lumber destined for Alberta. Stranded trucks straddled the highway shoulder in both directions, he said.

“They’re very outnumbered so there’s not enough staff. It takes time, but they actually will get to us eventually and attend our needs.”

Several stretches of closed highways began to reopen on Friday.

Environment and Climate Change Canada said another Alberta Clipper was expected to dump upwards of 15 centimetres of snow across the southern parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

The weather office said strong westerly wind gusts of up to 70 kilometres per hour were also expected.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau
A major federal union says it's worried about a plan to eliminate more than 300 positions at Canada’s Translation Bureau. In a news release, the Canadian Association of Professional Employees says it’s condemning a five-year business plan that would shrink the bureau’s workforce by almost 25 per cent.

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday
Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to launch a federal election campaign on Sunday and send Canadians to the polls as soon as April 28. While sources would not confirm the date of the vote, federal campaigns must run at least 37 days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty
Tiff Macklem says that means monetary policymakers may be “acting quickly” when it comes to setting interest rates, rather than looking far into the horizon to stay “flexible and adaptable.”

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report
A preliminary report into a plane crash at Toronto's Pearson airport last month says the aircraft's alert system issued a warning about the descent rate less than three seconds before touchdown. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada released its report Thursday morning as it continues to investigate the Feb. 17 crash landing that sent 21 people to hospital, noting that it's too early to draw any conclusions.

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting
RCMP say charges have been laid in a shooting that killed one person and injured two others in the Northwest Territories. Officers responded to a home early Saturday morning in the hamlet of Fort Providence, where a 31-year-old man was found dead.

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP
Mounties in Langley say the body of an 82-year-old woman has been found several months after she went missing. Jane Whitehouse was reported missing on Oct. 25 last year. 

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP