Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Sea otter pup livestream on now

Sea otter pup livestream on now
The Vancouver Aquarium says its sea otter pup online stream is now live. Canadians can see the progress of rescued sea otter pup Tofino as she settles into her permanent home. 

Sea otter pup livestream on now

2 million bathtubs: Calgarians urged to conserve as new water restrictions kick in

2 million bathtubs: Calgarians urged to conserve as new water restrictions kick in
A city official was conjuring images of bathtubs, swimming pools and jugs to drive home just how much water Calgarians need to save every day as they endure yet another round of rationing while a troubled pipe is repaired. 

2 million bathtubs: Calgarians urged to conserve as new water restrictions kick in

Mountain biker seriously injured

Mountain biker seriously injured
A 71-year-old mountain biker is in hospital with serious injuries after falling while riding trails in Castlegar.  R-C-M-P say the man was riding the mountain bike trails in the Merry Creek recreational area yesterday when he reportedly fell off a log bridge and became unconscious.

Mountain biker seriously injured

Highway 99 overnight closure in Delta

Highway 99 overnight closure in Delta
The provincial government is warning drivers about lane closures overnight on Highway 99 in Delta. Crews will be moving a large industrial crane across the highway for the 78th-Street-Interchange construction project.

Highway 99 overnight closure in Delta

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion
BC Hydro says it has begun filling the reservoir created by the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia. The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the filling of the reservoir is one of the last steps toward starting operations for the controversial dam project, located about 14 kilometres southwest of Fort St. John, B.C.

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion

West Coast Express commuter trains resume Monday as rail staff ordered back to work

West Coast Express commuter trains resume Monday as rail staff ordered back to work
Metro Vancouver's transit authority says the West Coast Express commuter train service shut down last week due to the Canada-wide rail stoppage will resume operations this week. TransLink issued a statement saying services will resume their normal schedules starting Monday, although there may be some delays "due to freight traffic backlog."

West Coast Express commuter trains resume Monday as rail staff ordered back to work