Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more
Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. have already begun a phased shutdown of their networks as the deadline approaches to come to an agreement with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference for a new labour contract. Unless deals are reached, the companies plan to lock out workers early Thursday and the union says it's prepared to call a strike that day.

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident
Two Vancouver police officers have been charged with assault related to an off-duty incident last December. Court records show Brian Hunt and Joshua Wong each face one count of assault over an offence alleged to have occurred on Dec. 16, 2023, in Vancouver.

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street
A City of Vancouver official says a huge crane that crashed down on a busy street will likely be removed in two days, after blocking the route for more than two weeks. Saul Schwebs says crews are "demolishing the crane, not salvaging it."

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says
A new Statistics Canada report says people with disabilities are twice as likely to live in food insecure households than those without disabilities. The report used data from the 2021 Canadian Income Survey and found 26.4 per cent of respondents with a disability experienced some level of food insecurity, compared to 12.5 per cent of people without disabilities.

People with disabilities twice as likely to have food insecurity, StatCan report says

Patrols for fare evading transit riders

Patrols for fare evading transit riders
TransLink says it's boosting patrols for fare-evading transit riders.  The transit operator says it's begun a blitz to deter riders from freeloading on the transit system, aimed at lessening fare evasion by five-million-dollars a year. 

Patrols for fare evading transit riders

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'
The Calcite Creek fire in British Columbia's southern Interior is no longer considered a "wildfire of note," leaving three such blazes throughout the province. The BC Wildfire Service says two of those fires are classified as "being held," meaning they're expected to stay within their current or predetermined perimeters.

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'