Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond
Mounties in Chilliwack say a four-year-old girl has drowned in a pond at a leisure centre. Police say they received a report of the drowning at the water park of the Chilliwack Landing Leisure Centre Monday night. 

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton
A landslide has forced the closure of a large stretch of Highway 99 north of Pemberton. Drive BC, the provincial travel information site, says the highway is closed in both directions between Rancheree Road and Seton Lake Road for more than 80 kilometres due to the slide.

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire
Alberta's minister of public safety said bus tours of the community that were scheduled to begin Sunday were postponed 24 hours because of the death over the weekend of a firefighter in Jasper National Park. Mike Ellis said in a social media post that the decision was made out of respect for the family, crew and all those impacted by the tragedy.

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly and her G7 counterparts have issued a joint statement calling for a de-escalation of tensions in the Middle East. The foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States issued the statement, along with the High Representative of the European Union.

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada
Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says Canadians have a right to know how a man with links to a foreign terror group evaded Canada's screening process to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen. He is demanding that the House of Commons recall its public safety committee to dig into the situation, calling on the Bloc Québécois and NDP to support that request.

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada
Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault says the federal government is considering new regulations that could make fewer employers eligible to hire temporary foreign workers. It's part of a suite of changes the minister is announcing in an effort to reduce the number of temporary foreign workers in Canada. 

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada