Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative
The British Columbia couple whose remains recently washed ashore on Nova Scotia's remote Sable Island have been identified as 70-year-old James Brett Clibbery and his 54-year-old wife, Sarah Packwood. Clibbery’s sister, Lynda Spielman, said Tuesday the RCMP had confirmed their identities.

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation
The Town of Golden confirmed Thursday that the fire burning south of the community had destroyed "several structures," but it did not provide specifics. It said in a social media post that the 1.33-square-kilometre blaze, known as the Dogtooth Forest Service Road fire, had spread north, but rain and a northern wind are expected to help the fire fight.

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses
The B.C. government says wineries can import grapes and juice to make their 2024 vintages after "devastating" losses this winter.  The province says allowing winemakers to import grapes from outside B.C. is a "temporary measure" to prop-up hundreds of wineries and thousands of jobs after freezing weather wiped out this year's harvest. 

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing
Almost all British Columbia communities have adopted the provincial government's plan to tackle the housing crisis by allowing more multi-unit homes on properties. The province says nearly 90 per cent of 188 local governments have followed the legislation that would allow for row homes, triplexes and townhouses on former single-home lots. 

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed
Metro Vancouver's transportation provider TransLink is warning of massive service cuts unless a $600-million funding gap is addressed. It says overall transit reductions of up to 50 per cent would be required starting in 2026, eliminating about 145 bus routes and "significantly reducing" SkyTrain, SeaBus and HandyDART services.

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered
Calgary emergency officials say they’re sending crews to help the Jasper wildfire while explaining why they briefly shuttered their evacuation centre just as the fire roared into the townsite and started burning structures. Sue Henry, the head of Calgary’s emergency services, said 19 Calgary crews were headed north to the fire scene.

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered