Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30
Huberman is the longest serving President and CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade, having served for 18 years – unprecedented in the chamber of commerce/board of trade industry. During her 31 years with the organization, having served in a variety of roles, she has built the organization up from a struggling entity into one of the largest organizations of its kind in Canada.

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election
Three provincial New Democrat ministers have announced they won't seek re-election in British Columbia's fall vote. Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming were all first elected in 2005 and have served five terms in the legislature, but say they will not stand on Oct. 19.

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog
The parliamentary budget officer estimates that staffing up the new regulators in the Liberals' Online Harms Act will cost around $200 million over five years.  The federal government wants to establish a Digital Safety Commission to regulate social-media companies and force them to limit harmful content online. 

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.
Infrastructure Canada says $19 million in upgrades to Vancouver's Science World will increase the facility's lifespan and reduce its energy consumption by more than 40 per cent. The federal government says the money will go toward repairing Science World's geodesic dome, the building envelope, and fixes to its heating, electrical and ventilation systems. 

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.

Woman dies in weekend drowning

Woman dies in weekend drowning
Mounties on the upper Sunshine Coast say a 29-year-old woman is dead after an apparent drowning over the weekend. They say it happened on Sunday near the barge terminal on Savary Island off the coast of Lund, north of Powell River.

Woman dies in weekend drowning

B.C. government to launch online portal to combat 'bad faith' evictions

B.C. government to launch online portal to combat 'bad faith' evictions
The Ministry of Housing says the Landlord Use Web Portal will go live on July 18, and will require landlords to generate eviction notices under the Residential Tenancy Act's provision allowing tenants to be evicted from a unit if a family member or caretaker intends to move in. 

B.C. government to launch online portal to combat 'bad faith' evictions