Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds create $530M fund for cities to adapt to climate change

Feds create $530M fund for cities to adapt to climate change
Canadian cities and towns facing an uphill battle to stave off the effects of climate change will share more than half a billion dollars from a new federal adaptation fund. The Local Leadership for Climate Adaptation initiative will offer up to $1 million to local governments for projects that upgrade or adjust their infrastructure and natural environment to be more protected from extreme weather events including floods, fires and major storms.

Feds create $530M fund for cities to adapt to climate change

Elenore Sturko leaves BC United party for Conservatives to 'defeat the NDP'

Elenore Sturko leaves BC United party for Conservatives to 'defeat the NDP'
Another BC United member has left the party to join the Conservative Party of BC just months before the provincial election. Surrey South MLA Elenore Sturko says in a statement that she's joining the provincial Conservatives to "rebuild the coalition that's needed to defeat the NDP." 

Elenore Sturko leaves BC United party for Conservatives to 'defeat the NDP'

Vancouver driver arrested after crashing into vehicles, narrowly missing pedestrians

Vancouver driver arrested after crashing into vehicles, narrowly missing pedestrians
Vancouver police say they are recommending multiple dangerous driving and impaired driving charges for a man who crashed his car into several other vehicles and nearly hit pedestrians downtown last week. They say the driver of a white Mercedes allegedly "smashed into and sideswiped" a grey Mazda CX5 on Alberni Street around 10 p.m. on Friday.

Vancouver driver arrested after crashing into vehicles, narrowly missing pedestrians

IIO investigating man's death after officer shooting in Mackenzie

IIO investigating man's death after officer shooting in Mackenzie
British Columbia's police watchdog is investigating police actions after a man was shot and killed by an officer in Mackenzie, B.C. The BC RCMP say they received a report of a man trying to cash a fraudulent cheque at a bank around 2 p.m. on Saturday.

IIO investigating man's death after officer shooting in Mackenzie

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit
BC Transit says several buses in its Victoria fleet are affected by a Transport Canada recall. The agency says a number of its CNG Vicinity Motor Corp. buses contain a manufacturer part that was in the recall.

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers
A spokeswoman for Squamish Search and Rescue in British Columbia says an "active search" is underway for three experienced mountaineers who have been missing since Friday. Christy Allan says in an interview that the climbers were last seen Friday morning on Atwell Peak, located on the southern edge of Mount Garibaldi.

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers