Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions
A lawyer for B.C.'s Public Safety Ministry says the City of Surrey was given a pathway to retain the RCMP as its police force, but "made no effort at all" to meet conditions to do so.

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'
Quebec Premier François Legault on Thursday called for the end to the pro-Palestinian protest encampment on the lower field of McGill University's downtown campus in Montreal, saying he expected police to dismantle the tents.

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'

Saskatchewan's Boundary dam carbon capture project underperforms, report says

Saskatchewan's Boundary dam carbon capture project underperforms, report says
A signature carbon capture and storage project in Saskatchewan continues to miss emissions reduction goals, raising questions about the cost-effectiveness of the technology, says a report.

Saskatchewan's Boundary dam carbon capture project underperforms, report says

Alberta, Saskatchewan sign agreement to share, swap information on nuclear energy

Alberta, Saskatchewan sign agreement to share, swap information on nuclear energy
Saskatchewan and Alberta have agreed to share and swap information about nuclear power generation.

Alberta, Saskatchewan sign agreement to share, swap information on nuclear energy

Early morning crash in Victoria sends one to hospital

Early morning crash in Victoria sends one to hospital
Police in Victoria say speed was likely a factor in an early-morning crash Wednesday that sent one person to hospital with serious injuries. Victoria police say officers patrolling downtown area came across a crash where a vehicle hit a venting pipe and utility control box, causing considerable damage to the vehicle and road.

Early morning crash in Victoria sends one to hospital

London Drugs phone lines working, stores still closed after cybersecurity incident

London Drugs phone lines working, stores still closed after cybersecurity incident
London Drugs says its phone lines are working again after being taken offline in response to a cybersecurity incident. A statement from the Richmond, B.C.-based pharmacy and retail chain says Canada Post offices inside London Drugs stores are also up and running again.

London Drugs phone lines working, stores still closed after cybersecurity incident