Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly
Canada welcomes the United Nations Security Council's call for a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas during Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Monday.  Canada has been asking for a sustainable ceasefire since December, she said at a press conference in Ottawa.

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup
An advocacy group and others are making a final plea to the City of Vancouver to hold off on its second phase of a plan to clean up the site of a homeless camp in Crab Park. The group called Stop the Sweeps and residents of the encampment oppose the move, saying they're being offered small, fenced pens to live in while the city bulldozes their community, which includes a warming tent and kitchen.

Group asks Vancouver for more time over Crab Park homeless site cleanup

Man found dead in Surrey

Man found dead in Surrey
B-C's police watchdog says it is investigating the death of a man in Surrey.  The Independent Investigations Office says police responded to a report of threats being made in a domestic dispute yesterday. 

Man found dead in Surrey

Cyclist injured in crash

Cyclist injured in crash
West Shore Mounties say a cyclist was seriously injured after a crash involving a vehicle in View Royal. Police say officers responded to the scene yesterday around 4:45 P-M and found the 55-year-old cyclist with life-threatening injuries.   

Cyclist injured in crash

Global Affairs says two more Canadians have died in Ukraine-Russia war

Global Affairs says two more Canadians have died in Ukraine-Russia war
Global Affairs Canada says two more Canadians have died in the war between Ukraine and Russia, bringing the total number of Canadians killed in that conflict to 11. An obituary for Alain Derasp says the veteran of the Canadian Forces Royal 22nd Regiment and father of four died in Ukraine on Feb. 27.

Global Affairs says two more Canadians have died in Ukraine-Russia war

Bell CEO summoned to committee over job cuts after not finding time to appear

Bell CEO summoned to committee over job cuts after not finding time to appear
Members of Parliament have summoned the head of Bell Canada to testify next month about the company's decision to cut thousands of jobs across the country.  CEO Mirko Bibic was originally invited to appear before the Canadian Heritage committee on Feb. 29 and then March 19, but MPs say he has so far been unable to attend. 

Bell CEO summoned to committee over job cuts after not finding time to appear