Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging
Statistics Canada says there are now more millennials than baby boomers in the country, ending the 65-year reign of the post-Second World War generation as the largest cohort in the population. The federal agency noted the change in its newly released population estimate for July 1, 2023, broken down by age and gender.

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine
RCMP in North Vancouver say a $1,500 fine was handed out to a driver caught speeding down a bus lane. Police credit the discreet and quick actions of an officer on a motorcycle for nabbing and ticketing a driver last October.

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting
Two 16-year-old youths were arrested on Feb. 12 and are being held in custody as they await their next court appearance. RCMP say the BC Prosecution Service approved charges of discharging a firearm into a place and possessing a loaded prohibited firearm.

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech
British Columbia's New Democrat government is pledging more homes for first-time buyers and eviction protection for renters in a throne speech that promises affordability measures in this week's budget. The throne speech, read in the legislature by Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin, says the government is putting forward a vision where everyone can get ahead and no one is left behind

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech

RCMP ask prosecutors to consider charge in B.C. crane collapse that killed 5

RCMP ask prosecutors to consider charge in B.C. crane collapse that killed 5
RCMP investigators have asked British Columbia prosecutors to consider criminal charges in a July 2021 construction crane collapse that killed five people in the Interior city of Kelowna. Kelowna Mounties say a report has been submitted "for charge assessment for criminal negligence causing death." 

RCMP ask prosecutors to consider charge in B.C. crane collapse that killed 5

Trudeau boosts B.C.'s housing plan with $2 billion in federal financing

Trudeau boosts B.C.'s housing plan with $2 billion in federal financing
The federal government is doubling the financing available for a British Columbia housing plan the prime minister called "transformative." Justin Trudeau was in Vancouver on Tuesday to announce that his government was adding another $2 billion in financing to the province's BC Builds plan aimed at constructing more middle-income rental housing.

Trudeau boosts B.C.'s housing plan with $2 billion in federal financing