Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Delta man faces arson charges

Delta man faces arson charges
A man is facing arson charges after allegedly setting fire to the same location in Delta two days in a row. Delta police say one of the incidents happened on February 1st, when an officer saw a fire in the disposal shed of a local restaurant.

Delta man faces arson charges

Suspect charged in Nigeria over sextortion of B.C. boy who died: RCMP

Suspect charged in Nigeria over sextortion of B.C. boy who died: RCMP
Police in British Columbia say a suspect in Nigeria has been charged over the sextortion of a B-C boy who died last year.  Surrey RCMP say officers from their detachment travelled to Nigeria last summer, where they worked with local authorities to arrest two people, one of whom was released.

Suspect charged in Nigeria over sextortion of B.C. boy who died: RCMP

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada
A 41-year-old Indo-Canadian man has been charged with breaking into temples and stealing cash from donation boxes. The accused has been identified as Jagdish Pandher from Brampton city. According to police, multiple break-and-enter incidents were reported in Peel Region comprising Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon between March and August 2023.

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Freeland announces $199 million in support for low-income renters, shelters

Freeland announces $199 million in support for low-income renters, shelters
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says the federal government is putting nearly $200 million in new money toward supporting low-income renters and shelters. Ottawa is pouring an additional $99 million into the Canada Housing Benefit, which offers financial support for low-income renters in partnership with provinces and territories.

Freeland announces $199 million in support for low-income renters, shelters

Canada sanctions Hamas leaders as Joly says more aid must reach Gaza Strip

Canada sanctions Hamas leaders as Joly says more aid must reach Gaza Strip
Canada has sanctioned nearly a dozen militants in response to brutal attack by Hamas and other groups on Israel last year. Canadians are now barred from any financial dealings with 10 people linked to Hamas, including senior leaders, and one person associated with a Palestinian militant group called Islamic Jihad.

Canada sanctions Hamas leaders as Joly says more aid must reach Gaza Strip

Fatal train collision in New Westminster

Fatal train collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster say one person is dead after being struck by a train on Monday. Police say the pedestrian was killed at the intersection of Spruce Street and Brunette Avenue in the city at around 3:30 p-m.   

Fatal train collision in New Westminster