Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Cap on student visas should help take pressure off soaring rents, Macklem says

Cap on student visas should help take pressure off soaring rents, Macklem says
Immigration Minister Marc Miller said at a cabinet retreat in Montreal on Monday that the number of new visas handed out this year will be capped at 364,000, a 35 per cent decrease from the nearly 560,000 issued last year. The number for 2025 will be set after an assessment of the situation later this year.

Cap on student visas should help take pressure off soaring rents, Macklem says

Atmospheric river could bring rain to parts of southern B.C., risk of flooding

Atmospheric river could bring rain to parts of southern B.C., risk of flooding
Weather officials are warning residents in British Columbia's South Coast region of another atmospheric river system that could bring storms and elevate flood risks starting Saturday. Environment and Climate Change Canada says the region is expected to see periods of heavy rain combined with melting mountain snow until Wednesday.

Atmospheric river could bring rain to parts of southern B.C., risk of flooding

B.C. Centre for Disease Control reports fourth flu-related death of child under 10

B.C. Centre for Disease Control reports fourth flu-related death of child under 10
The centre says there have now been four flu-related deaths in children under 10 during the current respiratory illness season. It says flu-related deaths refer to those where influenza was a contributing factor but not necessarily the primary cause of death.

B.C. Centre for Disease Control reports fourth flu-related death of child under 10

B.C. odour incidents spark questions around corporate ethics and communication

B.C. odour incidents spark questions around corporate ethics and communication
Vancouver resident Robert Ford was heading to a yoga class Sunday morning when he smelled an odour he likened to "semi-burnt fuel." As a member of council at his Kitsilano apartment building, he said he decided to check the boiler room, but it smelled fine.  

B.C. odour incidents spark questions around corporate ethics and communication

U.K. suspends trade negotiations with Canada, each accuses the other of not budging

U.K. suspends trade negotiations with Canada, each accuses the other of not budging
The United Kingdom is hitting the brakes on trade talks with Canada after Ottawa decided not to extend temporary measures put in place after Brexit. London announced the pause in negotiations Thursday less than a month before the ninth round of talks towards a permanent trade deal was scheduled to take place.  

U.K. suspends trade negotiations with Canada, each accuses the other of not budging

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested
R-C-M-P say a suspect in a fatal shooting in Surrey in 2022 has been arrested in Ontario. Police say a 20-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man were injured in the February 2022 shooting, and the man -- Juvraj Jabal of Surrey -- later died in hospital   

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested