Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital
Six people died in a plane crash near the town of Fort Smith, while a lone survivor was taken to hospital, the Northwest Territories coroner's office said Wednesday. Four passengers and two crew members from Northwestern Air Lease were killed on the Tuesday morning flight headed to the Diavik Diamond Mine, some 300 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife, the coroner's office said in a written statement.

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run
Mounties in Chilliwack say a man is dead after a hit-and-run collision last week. Chilliwack R-C-M-P says officers found an unresponsive male lying on the side of the road on January 18th after receiving a report. 

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP
One man is dead after what police believe was a targeted shooting overnight in Metro Vancouver. Police say officers responded to reports of a shooting in the 5500 block of Kingsway in Burnaby on Tuesday at 10:30 p.m.

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks
The Bank of Canada is turning its attention to when it may be able to start cutting interest rates, governor Tiff Macklem said Wednesday as he announced the central bank's decision to hold its key rate at five per cent. The Bank of Canada’s decision to maintain its key rate comes as no surprise. Weaker economic growth along with slowing inflation has allowed the central bank to hold its policy rate steady and monitor how the economy is responding to higher rates.    

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India
The federal commission of inquiry into foreign interference is looking to examine alleged meddling by India in the last two general elections. In a statement today, the commission says it has asked the federal government to produce documentation related to these allegations.  

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes
The Labour Relations Board has scheduled hearings today and tomorrow in the industrial dispute that paralyzed Metro Vancouver bus services this week. Bus and SeaBus services resumed this morning after the end of the 48-hour strike by more than 180 transit supervisors represented by Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4500.  

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes