Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians expected to come to Canada in the next few months

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians expected to come to Canada in the next few months
Settlement agencies are preparing for the arrival of tens of thousands of Ukrainians before the end-of-March deadline for those fleeing the Russian invasion to enter Canada on emergency visas. The federal government has issued 936,293 temporary emergency visas since March 2022 for Ukrainians who want to work or study in Canada while they wait out the war. A total of 210,178 people had actually made the journey to Canada as of Nov. 28.

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians expected to come to Canada in the next few months

Surrey man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants in custody

Surrey man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants in custody
Surrey RCMP say a man who was wanted on outstanding arrest warrants is in custody. Police said last week they were looking for the 24-year-old, who was allegedly seen in September driving dangerously through Surrey's streets at peak traffic hours.

Surrey man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants in custody

Metro Vancouver bus union warns of service shutdown without deal with employer

Metro Vancouver bus union warns of service shutdown without deal with employer
The union representing transit supervisors in British Columbia's Lower Mainland says it will be “withdrawing all services” on Monday if an agreement with Coast Mountain Bus Company isn't made. CUPE Local 4500, representing more than 180 bus workers, says it has been waiting more than four weeks for Coast Mountain to respond to its latest proposal.    

Metro Vancouver bus union warns of service shutdown without deal with employer

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow
Police in Abbotsford say a 31-year-old man is dead after being hit by a snowplow this morning. Officers say the man lost control of his vehicle on Highway 1 and went into the ditch.

Man dies after being hit by a snowplow

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says
Four children under the age of 10 who had streptococcal infections have died since mid-December, in what the BC Centre for Disease Control says is part of a surge in such infections. A bulletin released by the centre, the Provincial Health Services Authority and BC Children's Hospital says data from 2023 show a three-fold increase in invasive group A streptococcal infections in people under 20. 

Four children with strep A have died in B.C. in the past month, disease centre says

B.C. Coroners Service reports 36 outdoor deaths to start year, 5 on cold Jan. 12

B.C. Coroners Service reports 36 outdoor deaths to start year, 5 on cold Jan. 12
British Columbia's Coroners Service is reporting the outdoor deaths of 36 people during the early days of January when the province was in the grip of a record-breaking cold snap. Coroners Service data for the days from Jan. 1 to 16 show the highest number of people dying on Jan. 12, a day when numerous low temperature records were broken across B.C.

B.C. Coroners Service reports 36 outdoor deaths to start year, 5 on cold Jan. 12