Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm
Vancouver International Airport is recommending travellers plan ahead and check their flight status as Environment Canada forecasts snow starting this morning. The airport authority says it anticipates fewer planes will arrive and depart from the airport due to the weather.    

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak
The mayor of Delta, B.C., is calling the lack of communication from FortisBC "an egregious oversight" after the utility didn't notify the public for more than four hours after a leak at a renewable gas plant. George Harvie says on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that it was unacceptable for Delta residents and businesses to be "left in the dark" after a leak at a plant in Ladner.

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.
All public schools in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley have been closed today, as heavy snow falls across a wide swath of southern British Columbia. Some universities and colleges in the Lower Mainland have also cancelled in-person classes, including the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University and the B.C. Institute of Technology.    

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Funding for mental health facility

Funding for mental health facility
The provincial government is providing 675-thousand-dollars toward a proposed centre in northern B-C that would provide mental-health and addictions services for children for children and youth. Premier David Eby says on a visit to Prince George that young people in northern B-C, especially Indigenous youth, should be able to get the care they need close to home.  

Funding for mental health facility

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school
Police say they are investigating after a woman was found dead in front of a Calgary elementary school this morning. Officers were called to the school in the southwestern community of Strathcona around 7:40 a.m. 

Woman found dead in apparent domestic attack in front of a Calgary elementary school

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers
Mounties say a 34-year-old man has been found guilty of four charges after a hit-and-run crash that injured two police dog service officers in 2019. Police say Jason Kirupakaran was convicted of two counts each of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to stop after an accident causing bodily harm. 

Man convicted over hit-and-run crash that injured two B.C. police dog handlers