Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man arrested in Fort Nelson arson

Man arrested in Fort Nelson arson
A 41-year-old man has been charged in connection with a June 15th arson in Fort Nelson. Mounties say they were called to the scene where a heavy-duty tow truck and a car were allegedly set on fire in a secure tow lot. 

Man arrested in Fort Nelson arson

Pit bulls in B.C. pet mauling tested positive for meth, cocaine, says city

Pit bulls in B.C. pet mauling tested positive for meth, cocaine, says city
The City of Kamloops says three pit bulls involved in a deadly attack on another dog last month tested positive for methamphetamine and cocaine and it wants the animals put down.  Kamloops community services manager Will Beatty says the drugs were found in the dogs' systems after they hopped a fence and mauled a 13-year-old border collie to death. 

Pit bulls in B.C. pet mauling tested positive for meth, cocaine, says city

What the parties are promising ahead of the British Columbia provincial election

What the parties are promising ahead of the British Columbia provincial election
The British Columbia's New Democrats released the party's platform Thursday days after the Greens unveiled a plan for government ahead of the election on Oct. 19. The B.C. Conservative Party has not released its platform, but has made a series of policy announcements and promises as election day approaches. Here is a look at some of the top promises made by each major party: 

What the parties are promising ahead of the British Columbia provincial election

30 tonnes of chemicals seized in B.C. destined for drug production: RCMP

30 tonnes of chemicals seized in B.C. destined for drug production: RCMP
Mounties in British Columbia say they've seized more than 30 tonnes of chemicals that investigators believe were to be used in the production of methamphetamine. A statement says the Clandestine Laboratory Enforcement and Response Team executed a search warrant on a rural property in Enderby, B.C., in the North Okanagan region, on Sept. 11, and found a Bobcat loader that was reported stolen in Kelowna in 2021, as well as the chemicals.

30 tonnes of chemicals seized in B.C. destined for drug production: RCMP

B.C. NDP unveils election platform, focusing on 'tough challenges' and John Rustad

B.C. NDP unveils election platform, focusing on 'tough challenges' and John Rustad
The platform launch on Thursday also prompted Eby to reject the ideological concerns of another critic: multibillionaire Lululemon founder Chip Wilson, who has posted a sign outside his home in Eby's Vancouver-Point Grey constituency saying "the NDP is 'Communist.'"

B.C. NDP unveils election platform, focusing on 'tough challenges' and John Rustad

B.C. court rejects attempt to stop thousands of trees from being cut in Stanley Park

B.C. court rejects attempt to stop thousands of trees from being cut in Stanley Park
The B.C. Supreme Court will not grant an injunction to stop tree removal in Vancouver's Stanley Park after a group claimed the work was doing more harm than good.  The court ruled this week that the challenge raised "novel" issues about whether park users were owed a duty of care by the city and park board, but it would be "unlikely" that a trial would establish such a duty. 

B.C. court rejects attempt to stop thousands of trees from being cut in Stanley Park