Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Witnesses sought in collision

Witnesses sought in collision
Vancouver Police are looking for witnesses following a collision between a cyclist and pedestrian on the afternoon of September 1st. Officers say a 62-year-old was riding a rental bike on Comox Street between Broughton and Nicola just before 1 p.m., when the cyclist collided with a driver who was exiting her parked car. 

Witnesses sought in collision

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks
The British Columbia government says it’s collaborating with the federal government to protect its information systems from cyber attacks. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says in a statement that the new agreement provides the province with access to cyber defence services, which will improve its ability to defend, detect, and respond to cyber threats.

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks

Financial pressures difficult, but not the time for service, support cuts, says Eby

Financial pressures difficult, but not the time for service, support cuts, says Eby
British Columbia's estimated budget deficit is growing again, with the latest Ministry of Finance forecast pegging the province to be almost 9 billion in the red. Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the government is forecasting consecutive deficit budgets for the next three fiscal years, including $8.9 billion for the 2024-2025 budget followed by annual deficits of $6.7 billion and $6.1 billion in 2026-2027.

Financial pressures difficult, but not the time for service, support cuts, says Eby

B.C. businesses seek concrete economic 'vision' from parties ahead of fall election

B.C. businesses seek concrete economic 'vision' from parties ahead of fall election
Groups representing the forestry and mining industries, independent businesses and contractors say they have sent a survey of 10 questions to leaders of political parties ahead of the fall election, asking for a clear response on their economic visions for B.C. and concrete steps to get there.

B.C. businesses seek concrete economic 'vision' from parties ahead of fall election

RCMP lifts veil on use of emerging technologies to fight crime

RCMP lifts veil on use of emerging technologies to fight crime
The RCMP says it installed tools on digital devices to covertly collect electronic evidence in 32 cases over a five-year period. The criminal offences being investigated in these cases from 2017 to 2022 involved national security, illicit drugs, financial misdeeds and other serious matters.

RCMP lifts veil on use of emerging technologies to fight crime

PHAC explains reason for pulling COVID-19 vaccines before new ones approved

PHAC explains reason for pulling COVID-19 vaccines before new ones approved
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it asked provinces to get rid of existing COVID-19 vaccines to avoid confusion with new formulations that will have the same drug identification number. Health Canada says it is reviewing updated COVID-19 vaccines that essentially modify the current shot to target a more recent strain of the virus for an expected fall rollout.

PHAC explains reason for pulling COVID-19 vaccines before new ones approved