Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Woman Testifies About Strange Dynamic In Home Shared With Winnipeg Murder Suspect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 May, 2019 09:38 PM

    WINNIPEG — A woman says there was a strange dynamic in a house several women shared with a man who is accused of killing one of them.


    "Five women all vying for the attention of one man, obviously, there would be jealousy issues," Holley Sullivan told the jury at the first-degree murder trial of Perez Cleveland on Tuesday.


    Cleveland, who is 46, has pleaded not guilty in the killing of 42-year-old Jennifer Barrett.


    Barrett’s body was found in a barrel in the backyard of their Winnipeg home in December 2016.


    Court has heard that Cleveland shared the house with his adult daughter and five women who were described by one of them as "sister wives."


    Last week, Sullivan, who is 30, told court she started a relationship with Cleveland in 2010 and experienced years of horrific abuse.


    Court heard that Cleveland, his daughter, Sullivan, Barrett, and another woman moved to Winnipeg in 2014. Soon after, Sullivan was jailed for a credit-card scam.


    By the time she was released in 2016, two more women had joined the group, including Jessica Reid, 36, who testified about similar abuse in the home.


    The defence has argued that Reid was jealous of Barrett. Defence lawyer Steve Brennan asked Sullivan whether she'd seen violence between the two women and Sullivan said no.


    "I would say that Jessica was jealous of everyone," she said.


    The defence pointed to the different scams Sullivan took part in, including credit-card skimming, puppy sales and ripping off landlords. Sullivan said it was all to support Cleveland.


    "Every penny I made for the seven years I was with that man went to him," she said.


    Sullivan is currently serving time after pleading guilty for her role in hiding Barrett's body in the barrel.


    Brennan asked why the abuse and the death were never reported to police, and why Sullivan initially lied to officers about where Barrett's body was. She responded that she was trying to protect Cleveland.


    "You were also interested in protecting Holley Sullivan, weren't you?" Brennan said.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Regulator Says Fracking Caused Earthquakes Near Fort St. John

    B.C. Regulator Says Fracking Caused Earthquakes Near Fort St. John
    The B.C. Oil and Gas Commission has blamed fracking for three earthquakes in northeastern B.C. last month.

    B.C. Regulator Says Fracking Caused Earthquakes Near Fort St. John

    Stranger Replaces Good Samaritan's Stolen Cellphone In Nanaimo, B.C.

    Stranger Replaces Good Samaritan's Stolen Cellphone In Nanaimo, B.C.
    Const. Gary O'Brien says the local detachment was swamped with offers to help Anne Marie Behan after police issued a news release on her predicament.

    Stranger Replaces Good Samaritan's Stolen Cellphone In Nanaimo, B.C.

    BC Conservatives To Run Candidate In Upcoming Byelection In Nanaimo

    BC Conservative party says it will participate in the upcoming provincial byelection in Nanaimo and expects to name its candidate in the coming weeks.    

    BC Conservatives To Run Candidate In Upcoming Byelection In Nanaimo

    Windstorm That Swept B.C. South Coast Among 'Most Severe' In Years: Hydro

    Windstorm That Swept B.C. South Coast Among 'Most Severe' In Years: Hydro
    It's one of several communities dealing with the aftermath of Thursday's storm, which BC Hydro is describing as among the most severe in many years.

    Windstorm That Swept B.C. South Coast Among 'Most Severe' In Years: Hydro

    Toppling Tree Leaves 1 Dead As Powerful Windstorm Wreaks Havoc On Southwest B.C.

    One person was killed by a falling tree Thursday during a powerful windstorm that battered parts of British Columbia, causing more than 265,000 power outages and forcing dozens of ferry cancellations. 9

    Toppling Tree Leaves 1 Dead As Powerful Windstorm Wreaks Havoc On Southwest B.C.

    BC Parks Threatens $1-Million Fine As It Closes Off Newly Discovered Cave

    BC Parks Threatens $1-Million Fine As It Closes Off Newly Discovered Cave
    The order issued this week says anyone who enters the surrounding area or the cave can be fined and face imprisonment for up to a year.    

    BC Parks Threatens $1-Million Fine As It Closes Off Newly Discovered Cave