Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police renew warning to Ottawa demonstrators

Police renew warning to Ottawa demonstrators
Police renewed warnings to downtown Ottawa protesters to get out of the parliamentary precinct Wednesday, this time with the federal Emergencies Act in their arsenal. Officers walked along Wellington Street handing out notices to protesters encamped there, telling them they "must leave the area now."

Police renew warning to Ottawa demonstrators

Alaska harvesting depleted B.C. salmon: advocates

Alaska harvesting depleted B.C. salmon: advocates
Canada and the United States ratified the Pacific Salmon Treaty in 1985 to manage cross-border harvesting,but it wasn't designed to deal with climate change and stocks that are in crisis, said Greg Knox, executive director of SkeenaWild Conservation Trust based in Terrace, B.C.

Alaska harvesting depleted B.C. salmon: advocates

Former boyfriend of Surrey teen Kiran Dhesi pleads guilty to her murder

Former boyfriend of Surrey teen Kiran Dhesi pleads guilty to her murder
Inside the vehicle was a deceased female body that had sustained injuries consistent with homicide. The female victim was dentified as Bhavkiran (Kiran) Dhesi, 19 of Surrey.

Former boyfriend of Surrey teen Kiran Dhesi pleads guilty to her murder

IHIT investigating homicide of a 30 year old male in Abbotsford

IHIT investigating homicide of a 30 year old male in Abbotsford
Abbotsford Police Investigating a Homicide on Simon Ave. Victim is a 30-year-old male. Investigators are in the early stages. No information to suggest the public is at risk.

IHIT investigating homicide of a 30 year old male in Abbotsford

519 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

519 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 787 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 124 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, two new deaths (Northern Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 2,766.

519 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Vancouver man gets life for 2017 murder: police

Vancouver man gets life for 2017 murder: police
Police say the 61-year-old Kunik died in February 2017 after being stabbed repeatedly while he was alone on the Stanley Park seawall. The department says Lagimodiere was arrested 11 months after the death.    

Vancouver man gets life for 2017 murder: police