Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's behavior deemed unethical after rocking chair tagged in Instagram post

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's behavior deemed unethical after rocking chair tagged in Instagram post
Monte Design had sent the rocking chair to GurKiran Kaur Sidhu as a payback for her Instagram post, and Singh tagging it on his Instagram page breaches laws set out in the Canadian Conflict of Interest Act.    

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's behavior deemed unethical after rocking chair tagged in Instagram post

2,387 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

2,387 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are currently 35,770 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 262,591 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 895 COVID-positive individuals are currently in hospital and 115 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

2,387 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

25 year old North Vancouver woman stabbed by lover: IHIT

25 year old North Vancouver woman stabbed by lover: IHIT
The victim has been identified as 25-year-old Melissa Blimkie from North Vancouver. The suspect has been identified as 31-year-old Everton Downey. The two were in a relationship for some time prior to the homicide.    

25 year old North Vancouver woman stabbed by lover: IHIT

Suspect in custody following shooting at Newton residence

Suspect in custody following shooting at Newton residence
On January 18, 2022 shortly before 9:00 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to the report of a fight in front of a residence in the 13400-block of 66A Avenue. Upon arrival, officers located a 31-year-old man with a possible gunshot wound who was transported to hospital.  The injury sustained was confirmed to be non-life threatening and the victim is expected to be released from hospital shortly.    

Suspect in custody following shooting at Newton residence

Canadian trial suggests benefits of remdesivir

Canadian trial suggests benefits of remdesivir
A Canadian study suggests the antiviral medication remdesivir could have a "modest but significant effect" on COVID-19 patient outcomes, including decreasing the need for mechanical ventilation by approximately 50 per cent. The study, published Wednesday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, is billed as the largest single-country trial of remdesivir reported to date.

Canadian trial suggests benefits of remdesivir

B.C. doubles relief grants for certain businesses

B.C. doubles relief grants for certain businesses
A statement from the Ministry of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation says businesses including event venues, bars, nightclubs and lounges that don't serve full meals are eligible for grants of up to $20,000, based on staffing levels.

B.C. doubles relief grants for certain businesses