Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Robberies originating from escort service sites

Robberies originating from escort service sites
Recently, Surrey RCMP has seen a few instances of men hiring an escort, meeting at a prearranged location for a sexual encounter and then being robbed. It is believed that others may have been victimized but have not come forward to police. 

Robberies originating from escort service sites

Abbotsford prepares to hold back flood waters by building tiger dams

Abbotsford prepares to hold back flood waters by building tiger dams
Abbotsford has been preparing for more floodwater as the Nooksack River overruns the dike. City of Abbotsford and Abbotsford Police have been preparing in full force.

Abbotsford prepares to hold back flood waters by building tiger dams

CBSA officers seize over 2000 kg of khat, an illegal stimulant in the guise of tea leaves

CBSA officers seize over 2000 kg of khat, an illegal stimulant in the guise of tea leaves
Border services officers from the Metro Vancouver Marine Operations examined the container using a wide range of detection tools and technology, and upon physical inspection, noted discrepancies in the packaging and the substance within the bags.

CBSA officers seize over 2000 kg of khat, an illegal stimulant in the guise of tea leaves

341 COVID19 cases for Friday

341 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 3,035 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 211,577 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 291 individuals are in hospital and 115 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

341 COVID19 cases for Friday

Feds to revisit future of oil and gas aid fund

Feds to revisit future of oil and gas aid fund
Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Friday a pandemic aid program to help oil and gas companies cut their methane emissions will be revisited now that the industry is back on its feet.

Feds to revisit future of oil and gas aid fund

Variant prompts ban on southern Africa visitors

Variant prompts ban on southern Africa visitors
The new variant, dubbed Omicron, first emerged in South Africa and coincided with a steep rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in that region in recent weeks, according to the World Health Organization.

Variant prompts ban on southern Africa visitors