Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Heavy rain, snow forecast for parts of B.C.

Heavy rain, snow forecast for parts of B.C.
The statements for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Howe Sound and the Sunshine Coast say rainfall amounts of 75 to 120 millimetres is on the way Saturday evening and will continue through to Monday.

Heavy rain, snow forecast for parts of B.C.

Canada, U.S. call for end of fossil fuel subsidies

Canada, U.S. call for end of fossil fuel subsidies
Canada's environment minister says he thinks fossil fuel subsidies should be eliminated as United Nations negotiators wrestle over a final text in the closing hours of the Glasgow climate talks. Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says the subsidies should be phased out with a timeline.

Canada, U.S. call for end of fossil fuel subsidies

Robbery suspect in custody after robbing the same bank twice

Robbery suspect in custody after robbing the same bank twice
Surrey RCMP has arrested a 28-year old man, who is alleged to have robbed the same Whalley bank twice, only weeks apart. On October 16, 2021, Surrey RCMP received a report of a bank robbery in 10200-block of King George Boulevard. The suspect fled with cash prior to police arrival.

Robbery suspect in custody after robbing the same bank twice

Remembrance Day poppy box stolen from A&W in New Westminster

Remembrance Day poppy box stolen from A&W in New Westminster
Police believe there may have been other customers in the restaurant who witnessed the theft. Witnesses were unable to get a description of the suspect but believe he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

Remembrance Day poppy box stolen from A&W in New Westminster

555 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

555 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are currently 4,321 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 203,909 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 404 individuals are currently in hospital and 117 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

555 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Surrey-Fleetwood MLA Jagrup Brar acclaimed as new chair of BC NDP caucus

Surrey-Fleetwood MLA Jagrup Brar acclaimed as new chair of BC NDP caucus
Brar, who was first elected in 2004 and was re-elected in 2005, 2009, 2017 and 2020, will begin serving in this leadership role at the end of the fall legislative sitting.

Surrey-Fleetwood MLA Jagrup Brar acclaimed as new chair of BC NDP caucus