Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023

Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023
Ten days of trial dates were set during a brief, virtual courtroom hearing this morning, three months after military police charged the former Canadian Armed Forces commander following a sexual misconduct investigation.

Former defence chief to go on trial in May 2023

Federal vaccine rules raise human rights concern

Federal vaccine rules raise human rights concern
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat says 240,000 employees have filed their attestations of their vaccine status to the government, out of approximately 268,000.

Federal vaccine rules raise human rights concern

NACI expands booster eligibility guidance

NACI expands booster eligibility guidance
The committee now recommends mRNA boosters to people who received two doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, adults over the age of 70, front-line health-care workers with a short interval between their first two doses, and people from First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities.

NACI expands booster eligibility guidance

No COVID-19 test at U.S. land border: Higgins

No COVID-19 test at U.S. land border: Higgins
The office of New York congressman Brian Higgins says U.S. Customs and Border Protection won't be requiring a negative COVID-19 test for fully vaccinated travellers in order to cross the land border with Canada.

No COVID-19 test at U.S. land border: Higgins

Announcement coming on child-welfare appeal: PM

Announcement coming on child-welfare appeal: PM
Speaking while on a trip to the Netherlands ahead of back-to-back international summits, he says ministers are working this morning in Ottawa to meet a deadline to decide whether to appeal the Federal Court ruling that upheld two historic decisions from the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.

Announcement coming on child-welfare appeal: PM

Multiple search warrants lead to substantial drug seizure: Surrey RCMP

Multiple search warrants lead to substantial drug seizure: Surrey RCMP
In Spring of 2021, the Surrey RCMP Drug Unit initiated an investigation into a drug trafficking network with ties to the Lower Mainland Gang Conflict. Through an extensive investigation, three residences in the Whalley area were identified as locations of interest.

Multiple search warrants lead to substantial drug seizure: Surrey RCMP