Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds could push provinces on vax mandate: document

Feds could push provinces on vax mandate: document
The Trudeau Liberals have promised to bring in mandatory vaccination requirements for federally regulated workers, such as those employed by transportation, banks and telecommunication companies.

Feds could push provinces on vax mandate: document

B.C. legislature back with focus on economy

B.C. legislature back with focus on economy
Economic Recovery Minister Ravi Kahlon says the New Democrat government will continue to offer relief, support and incentives to businesses, communities and families hit by the pandemic as it prepares to introduce a long-term recovery and economic strategy early next year.

B.C. legislature back with focus on economy

B.C. to begin COVID-19 booster shots

B.C. to begin COVID-19 booster shots
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has said the latest data show a third dose is most effective about six months after the second. Those eligible will be getting their extra jabs along with influenza shots.

B.C. to begin COVID-19 booster shots

B.C. capital facing COVID-19 shelter shortage

B.C. capital facing COVID-19 shelter shortage
David Eby said Friday he had hoped that once tent encampments were dismantled, the Crown agency BC Housing and provincial staff would be able to find more permanent solutions for the homeless, but a surge in COVID-19 cases hasn't made that possible.

B.C. capital facing COVID-19 shelter shortage

714 COVID19 cases for Friday

714 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 6,317 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 178,980 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 328 individuals are in hospital and 138 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

714 COVID19 cases for Friday

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP
Metrotown station has been closed down by Transit Police and Burnaby RCMP are on scene there are reports of a shooting along with unconfirmed reports of a pipe bomb. Burnaby RCMP has taken to Twitter to with various updates regarding the incident.

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP