Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines
Procurement Minister Anita Anand announced the donation through the COVAX vaccine-sharing alliance today as many developing nations continue to struggle with a shortage of shots.

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2
Meng Wanzhou, who is the Chinese telecom giant's CFO and daughter of the company's founder, is facing extradition to the United States on fraud charges that both she and the company deny.

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2

Boy bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Boy bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park
The Conservation Officer Service says in a statement that the five-year-old was bitten on the leg Tuesday night. The statement says the boy had run ahead of his family while they were visiting Prospect Point.

Boy bitten by coyote in Vancouver's Stanley Park

Key players in military misconduct scandal

Key players in military misconduct scandal
Harjit Sajjan has come under fire from opposition MPs and the one-time Canadian Armed Forces ombudsman over his handling of misconduct allegations. 

Key players in military misconduct scandal

Man charged after landing helicopter for ice cream

Man charged after landing helicopter for ice cream
An investigation determined the landing was not an emergency. Police said a passenger left the helicopter and went into a nearby Dairy Queen restaurant to buy an ice cream cake.

Man charged after landing helicopter for ice cream

B.C. officials warn of latest heat wave

B.C. officials warn of latest heat wave
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says Emergency Management BC is working with communities to ensure they have funding for measures such as cooling centres with targeted support for vulnerable people and overtime wages for staff.

B.C. officials warn of latest heat wave