Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM
  • Work underway to remove Vancouver's stuck barge

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months.

A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.

The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.

The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.

It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.

Vancouver officials say the removal plan will ensure protection of sensitive marine habitat and has been developed in consultation with industry experts, partners and First Nation groups.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ajay Dilawri of the Dilawri Group has been bestowed with the Order of BC

Ajay Dilawri of the Dilawri Group has been bestowed with the Order of BC
Ajay Dilawri is a leading entrepreneur whose vision, perseverance, leadership, and social conscience continues to improve the lives of many people in our province. He has made a significant and far-reaching impact  throughout B.C.

Ajay Dilawri of the Dilawri Group has been bestowed with the Order of BC

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating high risk missing person Jaskaran Sandhu

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating high risk missing person Jaskaran Sandhu
UPDATE: Jaskaran Sandhu has been found safe and sound. He has been re-united with his family.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating high risk missing person Jaskaran Sandhu

B.C. readies response before second heat wave

B.C. readies response before second heat wave
Farnworth says local governments are being encouraged to provide information on cooling centres for residents who have been forced to leave their homes due to wildfires in parts of the province.

B.C. readies response before second heat wave

243 COVID19 cases for Friday

243 COVID19 cases for Friday
Data from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control show that's the highest daily case count since late May. More than half of the latest cases as well as overall active infections are in the Interior Health region, where an outbreak was declared in the central Okanagan.

243 COVID19 cases for Friday

Two travellers fined $20K each for fake vax docs

Two travellers fined $20K each for fake vax docs
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the travellers also didn't comply with requirements to stay at a government-authorized hotel or to get tested upon arrival.

Two travellers fined $20K each for fake vax docs

Feds run $24B deficit over April and May

Feds run $24B deficit over April and May
The Finance Department's regular fiscal monitor says the budgetary deficit over April and May was $23.8 billion, down from the $86.8 billion recorded over the same months in 2020.    

Feds run $24B deficit over April and May