Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:19 AM
  • World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic five years ago today

Five years ago, the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, setting off a series of policies that transformed Canadians' lives for years.

The WHO's declaration followed months of warning signs about the dangers of COVID-19, including mass lockdowns in China and Italy, and served as a wake-up call for many Canadians.

"It really highlighted that it was not a situation that was confined to one area, one city — it really was a national and international response that was required," said Dr. Na-Koshie Lamptey, Toronto’s acting medical officer of health.

"And so you saw the mobilization of societal resources to fight it."

In the weeks and months that followed, Canadian governments moved to shut down schools and offices, limit travel and ban social gatherings, while offering unprecedented financial lifelines to help people and businesses weather the crisis.

Flags flew at half-mast Tuesday over the buildings of the provincial legislature in Quebec City to mark the date, designated as a day of remembrance in the province for the victims of COVID-19.

"It was a difficult time for everyone, a time of effort and sacrifice," Premier François Legault said Tuesday in a social media statement. "But it was also an opportunity for the people of Quebec to demonstrate their solidarity and courage."

The pandemic turned public health officials into household names as people across Canada sought to keep up with the latest advice and regulatory changes.

The importance of effective communication, both with the public and between government divisions, was one of the many lessons to come out of the pandemic, said Lamptey, the Toronto public health official.

Clear communication builds trust so that people can better contribute to the collective emergency response, she added.

Looking back on the crisis, it's important to recognize the significant sacrifices made by health-care staff and other essential workers to protect the well-being of others, and honour those whose lives were lost to the virus, she said.

As the level of immunity has increased through vaccines and people recovering from the disease, the impact of the virus has changed, but it can still have serious consequences for older adults and those with chronic medical conditions, she said. As well, many people continue to experience long-term effects of COVID-19, she added.

The virus has claimed tens of thousands of lives in Canada alone, many of them people in long-term care.

The WHO lifted the global COVID-19 emergency in May 2023, noting the illness had been on a downward trend for more than a year.

MORE National ARTICLES

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report
The Institute for Research on Public Policy says governments in Canada have work to do to support the 68 communities it identified as susceptible on the path to drastically lowering Canada's emissions. 

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview
Mark Carney went on late-night television in the U.S. Monday to talk Trump, tariffs and carbon tax, but played coy on any plans to seek the Liberal leadership. The former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor appeared on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart for a 20-minute sit-down interview. 

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise
The Quebec government says it is worried about migrants crossing illegally into the United States from Canada, and is calling on the RCMP to deploy the necessary resources at the border. François Bonnardel, Quebec's public security minister, made the comments today in the provincial capital, one week before the inauguration of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says
The actual number of Ontario jobs affected by the 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that Trump has signalled are coming will depend on what sectors are targeted, Ford said, but the ministries have told him it could be between 450,000 to 500,000.

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership
In a statement to her supporters, Clark said that her French skills are not developed enough and that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's decision last week to step aside and trigger a short leadership race "did not leave enough time" for the party to renew itself and grow.

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver
R-C-M-P in North Vancouver say officers have arrested a man in connection with several random assaults and arson. Police say the man assaulted two people randomly on Christmas Day, and later set fire to the front door of an apartment building unit on December 29th. 

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver