Athletics legend Milkha admitted to hospital, again
Darpan News Desk IANS, 03 Jun, 2021 12:53 PM
Chandigarh, June 3 (IANS) Legendary sprinter Milkha Singh on Thursday was admitted to hospital after he complained of low oxygen level.
While 91-year-old Singh was earlier admitted to Fortis Hospital in nearby Mohali, on Thursday he was taken to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in his home city Chandigarh.
"Four days after he was discharged from a Mohali hospital, he has been again admitted to a local hospital in Chandigarh," a source told IANS.
Singh's wife Nirmal is still in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and is under observation in Fortis, Mohali.
"Mrs Milkha Singh continues to be in the ICU with fluctuating oxygen requirement," said a Fortis medical bulletin on Thursday.
Nirmal, 82, was last week admitted to the hospital after she tested positive for Covid-19 pneumonia.
Singh is best known for his exploits during the 400m race at the 1960 Rome Olympic Games where he missed the podium by a whisker. He clocked 45.73 secs to finish fourth in a photo finish.
Singh's record was broken by Paramjeet Singh at a national meet in Kolkata in 1998. Paramjeet clocked 45.70 secs on a synthetic track while Singh had run on a cinder track.
The two-day 64th FIFA Congress opened here with proposals for amendments to the FIFA statutes, regulations governing the application of the statutes, and standing orders of the Congress figuring high on the agenda.
During the opening of the FIFA 2014 World Cup in Brazil Thursday, a paralysed person wearing a brain-controlled robotic exoskeleton is expected to make the first kick of the championship.
Force India drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez qualified 11th and 13rd, respectively, for the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix at the 4.3 km Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve here.
World No.1 tennis player Rafael Nadal won his record ninth men's singles title at the French Open by beating second-seeded Serbian Novak Djokovic in four sets at Court Philippe Chatrier here Sunday.
After seven years of planning and billions of dollars spent on infrastructure, Brazil is finally dismantling ubiquitous scaffolds and applying finishing touches to a myriad of FIFA World Cup projects.