Athletics legend Milkha admitted to hospital, again
Darpan News Desk IANS, 03 Jun, 2021 12:53 PM
Chandigarh, June 3 (IANS) Legendary sprinter Milkha Singh on Thursday was admitted to hospital after he complained of low oxygen level.
While 91-year-old Singh was earlier admitted to Fortis Hospital in nearby Mohali, on Thursday he was taken to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in his home city Chandigarh.
"Four days after he was discharged from a Mohali hospital, he has been again admitted to a local hospital in Chandigarh," a source told IANS.
Singh's wife Nirmal is still in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and is under observation in Fortis, Mohali.
"Mrs Milkha Singh continues to be in the ICU with fluctuating oxygen requirement," said a Fortis medical bulletin on Thursday.
Nirmal, 82, was last week admitted to the hospital after she tested positive for Covid-19 pneumonia.
Singh is best known for his exploits during the 400m race at the 1960 Rome Olympic Games where he missed the podium by a whisker. He clocked 45.73 secs to finish fourth in a photo finish.
Singh's record was broken by Paramjeet Singh at a national meet in Kolkata in 1998. Paramjeet clocked 45.70 secs on a synthetic track while Singh had run on a cinder track.
Another inspiring performance by leg-spinner Amit Mishra and offie Ravichandran Ashwin helped India beat Bangladesh by eight wckets in a Group 2 match and qualify for the semi-finals of the ICC World Twenty20 at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium here Friday.
The court also barred all those associated with Srinivasan's India Cements company, which owns IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings, from functioning in the BCCI. The court, however, allowed Chennai Super Kings as well as Rajasthan Royals, whose owners too are facing charges of betting, to take part in this year's IPL.
Discarded off-spinner Harbhajan Singh must be a happy man watching othersof his tribe doing well in the World Twenty20. Seven years ago, after India's success in the inaugural World Twenty20 in 2007, Harbhajan feared Twenty20 cricket would kill spinners.
The Supreme Court Thursday proposed the name of former India captain Sunil Gavaskar to replace the incumbent Narayanaswami Srinivasan as the BCCI head and suggested that Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals be kept out of the seventh edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) that starts April 16.
Former India hockey captain Jude Felix was Wednesday appointed the coach of the senior men's national team and will work under chief coach Terry Walsh.
Former Indian cricket board president Inderjit Singh Bindra Wednesday launched a scathing attack on board chief Narayanaswami Srinivasan, saying he should resign immediately before he takes Indian cricket to the gutter along with himself.