Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
Sports

Jury finds former Canucks forward Jake Virtanen not guilty of sexual assault

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jul, 2022 11:11 AM
  • Jury finds former Canucks forward Jake Virtanen not guilty of sexual assault

A jury has found former Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen not guilty of sexual assault.

Virtanen wept openly when the verdict was read in B.C. Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Virtanen was charged in January with sexual assault in connection with an incident in a downtown Vancouver hotel room in September 2017.

The 25-year-old former NHL player told the court last week that the woman was an “enthusiastic participant” in the encounter.

The 23-year-old woman, whose identity is covered by a publication ban, testified that she repeatedly said “no” and told Virtanen that she did not want to have sex with him.

Virtanen was playing right-wing for the Canucks when the allegations surfaced in May 2021. The team placed him on leave and bought out his contract the following month.

 

MORE Sports ARTICLES

Toronto Forward Tegan Stairs Named CIS Women's Field Hockey Player Of The Year

Toronto Forward Tegan Stairs Named CIS Women's Field Hockey Player Of The Year
VICTORIA — University of Toronto forward Tegan Stairs was named the CIS player of the year in women's field hockey Wednesday night.

Toronto Forward Tegan Stairs Named CIS Women's Field Hockey Player Of The Year

Sania Mirza, Martina Hingis Clinch WTA Finals Crown

Sania Mirza, Martina Hingis Clinch WTA Finals Crown
Sania and Martina, individually ranked the world's two highest doubles players, didn't lose a set, let alone a match, in the five ties they played in the tournament this week.

Sania Mirza, Martina Hingis Clinch WTA Finals Crown

Canucks thump Canadiens 5-1 to hand Montreal its first loss of the season

Canucks thump Canadiens 5-1 to hand Montreal its first loss of the season
VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Canucks' first win on home ice stopped the red-hot Montreal Canadiens in their tracks.

Canucks thump Canadiens 5-1 to hand Montreal its first loss of the season

Competition Bureau says 12-year, $5.2 billion Rogers-NHL deal doesn't hurt competition

Competition Bureau says 12-year, $5.2 billion Rogers-NHL deal doesn't hurt competition
TORONTO — The Competition Bureau says it has found no evidence that competition for advertising dollars has been reduced since Rogers Communications got exclusive Canadian rights to National Hockey League games under a landmark 12-year deal.

Competition Bureau says 12-year, $5.2 billion Rogers-NHL deal doesn't hurt competition

Canucks Hoping To Stop Red-hot Canadiens, Win First Game At Home This Season

Canucks Hoping To Stop Red-hot Canadiens, Win First Game At Home This Season
The Vancouver Canucks are hoping a visit from the NHL's top team will help shake them from their home-ice slumber.

Canucks Hoping To Stop Red-hot Canadiens, Win First Game At Home This Season

Whitecaps Beat Dynamo 3-0, Secure Second Place Western Conference

Whitecaps Beat Dynamo 3-0, Secure Second Place Western Conference
The Vancouver Whitecaps were facing a winner-take-all midweek playoff game on the road at halftime of Sunday's regular-season finale.

Whitecaps Beat Dynamo 3-0, Secure Second Place Western Conference