Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Sports

Yuvraj Singh-Led Global T20 Canada Team Refuses To Play Over Unpaid Wages: Reports

Darpan News Desk IANS, 08 Aug, 2019 08:05 PM

    A second round match between Toronto Nationals and Montreal Tigers in the ongoing Global League T20 in Canada was delayed by almost two hours due to players protest.

     

    According to a ESPNcricinfo report, both sides --Toronto Nationals, led by former India all-rounder Yuvraj Singh and George Bailey’s Montreal Tigers -- initially refused to take the bus at the scheduled departure time from the team hotel to the CAA Centre in Brampton over unpaid wages.

     

    “The game between Montreal Tigers & Toronto Nationals on Wednesday, was delayed due to procedural issues between the players, the GT20 league, and the franchise owners. All the stakeholders had a meeting and addressed the concerns,” said a press release from the organisers.

     

    Yuvraj’s side needed to win all their remaining matches to stand a chance of qualifying for the knockouts but they were willing to sacrifice that for the sake of their wages, the report stated.

     
     

    “Global T20 Canada management is doing their best to popularise the game in North America and as a new entity in cricket, are bound to come across certain hurdles.

     

    “On behalf of GT20 Canada, we sincerely thank all the stakeholders, players, and support staff for their constant support and confidence in us. We deeply regret the inconvenience caused to our sponsors, broadcasters, and millions of fans across the globe,” the release read.

     

    Global T20 Canada, in a statement on their Twitter handle, stated at 12.40 p.m. local time, that the match had been “delayed due to technical reasons” and announced that it had been pushed back to a 2.30 p.m. local time start from the originally scheduled 12.30 p.m. and that it would remain a full 20-over contest.

     

    According to the ESPNcricinfo report, the protest is not limited to these two teams only. The report, quoting sources, said other squads have told team and league owners Bombay Sports Limited that they will refuse to take the field for the playoff stage beginning on Thursday if their unpaid wages are not being paid.

     

    When the match started between the two teams, Toronto Nationals posted 189/5 in their stipulated 20 overs and restricted Montreal Tigers to 154 in 19.3 overs, thus winning the match by 35 runs and booked their place in the play-offs.

    MORE Sports ARTICLES

    Paralysed person to kick off FIFA World Cup in Brazil

    Paralysed person to kick off FIFA World Cup in Brazil
    During the opening of the FIFA 2014 World Cup in Brazil Thursday, a paralysed person wearing a brain-controlled robotic exoskeleton is expected to make the first kick of the championship.

    Paralysed person to kick off FIFA World Cup in Brazil

    David Beckham plans to open restaurant chain in US

    David Beckham plans to open restaurant chain in US
    Former England football captain David Beckham could soon be launching his own restaurant chain.

    David Beckham plans to open restaurant chain in US

    Canadian Grand Prix: Force India drivers qualify 11th, 13th

    Canadian Grand Prix: Force India drivers qualify 11th, 13th
    Force India drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez qualified 11th and 13rd, respectively, for the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix at the 4.3 km Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve here.

    Canadian Grand Prix: Force India drivers qualify 11th, 13th

    French Open 2014: Rafael Nadal triumphs against Novak Djokovic to win ninth title

    French Open 2014: Rafael Nadal triumphs against Novak Djokovic to win ninth title
    World No.1 tennis player Rafael Nadal won his record ninth men's singles title at the French Open by beating second-seeded Serbian Novak Djokovic in four sets at Court Philippe Chatrier here Sunday.

    French Open 2014: Rafael Nadal triumphs against Novak Djokovic to win ninth title

    FIFA World Cup preparation: Is Brazil ready?

    FIFA World Cup preparation: Is Brazil ready?
    After seven years of planning and billions of dollars spent on infrastructure, Brazil is finally dismantling ubiquitous scaffolds and applying finishing touches to a myriad of FIFA World Cup projects.

    FIFA World Cup preparation: Is Brazil ready?

    Whitecaps FC Steven Beitashour Named To Iran's Final Roster for FIFA World Cup

    Whitecaps FC Steven Beitashour Named To Iran's Final Roster for FIFA World Cup
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC confirmed today that right back Steven Beitashour has been named to Iran's final 23-man roster for the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. 

    Whitecaps FC Steven Beitashour Named To Iran's Final Roster for FIFA World Cup