Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

Sanjay Dutt: I Was Innocent Then, Still Am

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Sep, 2017 12:35 PM
  • Sanjay Dutt: I Was Innocent Then, Still Am
He has fought battles with drug abuse, faced a jail term and has had a tumultuous personal life. Actor Sanjay Dutt says that there are many lessons he has learnt and that his "innocence" is intact.
 
Sanjay, who had made a rocking debut in Bollywood with "Rocky" in 1981, put his personal life in jeopardy through drug addiction, and his life took a turn for the worse when he was arrested for illegal possession of weapons and was convicted.
 
Since each experience of life teaches one something, what has he learnt from the dark years of his life?
 
"A lot... I learnt a lot. I was innocent then, I am still innocent, but there are some life lessons learnt," Sanjay told IANS in an interview here ahead of the forthcoming release of Hindi film "Bhoomi", his first after being released from jail last year.
 
The actor, 58, was arrested for illegal possession of arms in a case related to the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, in which over 250 people were killed and several hundred were wounded.
 
 
A father of three, Sanjay says the present times are frightening for parents who constantly have a reason to worry about the security of their children.
 
"Bhoomi" has a father-daughter theme, and Sanjay expressed concern about how vulnerable he feels as a parent considering the rise in the number of crimes against girls.
 
"It's scary... I mean kids are not even safe in school, after whatever happened to the little girl in Gurgaon (rape of a five-year-old school girl), it can horrify any parent. Everybody has to be very careful as far as their kids are concerned. It's a frightening time for parents regarding the security of their children.
 
"As a father, I always tell my kids to do their activity and come back home, spend time with us, spend time at home, because at least that is safer... 'Baahar mahaul sahi nahi hai (the environment outside is not right)'. I think this is the time when we not only should start respecting women but also be careful and protective towards children," said the actor, lovingly called Sanju Baba in the film industry.
 
 
Known for movies like "Naam", "Sadak", "Khalnayak", "Vaastav" and "Munna Bhai M.B.B.S", Sanjay has a daughter named Trishala, whom he had with his first wife Richa Sharma who died of brain tumour in New York in 1996. Trishala lives in the US.
 
He also has twins -- a boy named Shahraan and a girl named Iqra -- with his third wife Maanyata Dutt.
 
Given that his life has been full of troubles, is there any chapter of his life that he would like to re-write?
 
"No," said Sanjay, preferring to talk about "Bhoomi", which he described as an "amazing story of a father and daughter.
 
Directed by National Award-winning Omung Kumar of "Mary Kom" fame, "Bhoomi" features Aditi Rao Hydari as Sanjay's onscreen daughter.
 
 
 
"The film talks about the special bonding of a parent and a child. It's a special story about everything that I believe in -- women's empowerment and gender equality. And Omung is a fantastic director, Aditi is a very good actress... The whole shooting was superb," he said.
 
Was he nervous about facing the camera after a long time?
 
"No," he was quick to respond.
 
But which was more exciting in comparison -- when he faced the camera for the first time in life, or facing it after spending some troublesome years and starting afresh?
 
"I swear I cannot remember my first day of facing a camera... It was 1979 or 1980, I guess... long, long back," said Sanjay, who finds the evolution in Hindi cinema very positive.
 
 
"It is more professional now. Films are made on time, which is great. People are doing one film at a time, so they are focused, which is a good sign," said Sanjay, who is excited about starting work on Tigmanshu Dhulia's "Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster 3".

MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

I Am Watching Jab Harry Met Sejal, Please Rescue Me: Pune Man Tweets To Sushma Swaraj

I Am Watching Jab Harry Met Sejal, Please Rescue Me: Pune Man Tweets To Sushma Swaraj
Vishal Raghuvanshi, who works in a Pune-based company, posted his message about Shah Rukh Khan’s film on Saturday, it caught everyone’s attention much later.

I Am Watching Jab Harry Met Sejal, Please Rescue Me: Pune Man Tweets To Sushma Swaraj

Doctors Happy With Dilip Kumar's Health Progress

Doctors Happy With Dilip Kumar's Health Progress
Doctors treating legendary thespian Dilip Kumar, who is undergoing treatment for kidney-related problems, are happy with the progress in his health, a senior official from the Lilavati Hospital here said on Tuesday.

Doctors Happy With Dilip Kumar's Health Progress

Big B Doesn't Want 75th Birthday Celebrations

Big B Doesn't Want 75th Birthday Celebrations
Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who will turn 75 in October, says he won't allow, acknowledge or endorse any celebration for his milestone birthday.

Big B Doesn't Want 75th Birthday Celebrations

'Jab Harry Met Sejal' Surpasses Rs 50 Crore Mark

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan and actress Anushka Sharma starrer "Jab Harry Met Sejal", which got off to a slow start at the box office, has crossed the Rs 50 crore mark in four days since its release in India.

'Jab Harry Met Sejal' Surpasses Rs 50 Crore Mark

Only Some People Watching Bhojpuri Films: Mona Lisa

Only Some People Watching Bhojpuri Films: Mona Lisa
Actress Mona Lisa says Bhojpuri films are not yet getting their due because it has failed to reach the maximum audience via single screen theatres.

Only Some People Watching Bhojpuri Films: Mona Lisa

I Got Ten Billion Times More Than I Expected: Shah Rukh Khan

I Got Ten Billion Times More Than I Expected: Shah Rukh Khan
Shah Rukh Khan, who earlier this year completed 25 years as an actor in Hindi cinema, says that he has got "ten billion times" more than what he set out for when he started in 1992.

I Got Ten Billion Times More Than I Expected: Shah Rukh Khan