Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Amitabh Bachchan And Baahubali Star Ramya Krishnan To Reunite 20 Years After Bade Miyan Chote Miyan

    Actors Amitabh Bachchan and Ramya Krishnan, who had previously worked together in Hindi action comedy "Bade Miyan Chote Miyan", have been paired once again in upcoming Tamil film "Uyarntha Manithan".    

    Amitabh Bachchan And Baahubali Star Ramya Krishnan To Reunite 20 Years After Bade Miyan Chote Miyan

    Destined To Work With Kangana Again: Anurag Basu

    Basu was to direct Kangana in a project tentatively titled "Imali". But she has moved on from the project to focus on her directorial venture.

    Destined To Work With Kangana Again: Anurag Basu

    Amit Sharma Hopes To Work With Ranveer, Deepika Again

    Amit Sharma Hopes To Work With Ranveer, Deepika Again
    "Badhaai Ho" director Amit Sharma, who has directed Bollywood stars Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone in an ad film, says he is looking forward to more collaborations with the couple.    

    Amit Sharma Hopes To Work With Ranveer, Deepika Again

    Shah Rukh's ‘Zero' To Close Beijing Film Fest

    Shah Rukh's ‘Zero' To Close Beijing Film Fest
    Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan-starrer "Zero" will be the closing film of the Beijing International Film Festival.

    Shah Rukh's ‘Zero' To Close Beijing Film Fest

    Wave Of Patriotic Films Is Worth It: John Abraham

    Wave Of Patriotic Films Is Worth It: John Abraham
    Patriotism is something that you must feel in your heart, and you project it in a certain sensitive, credible, sensible and responsible way in your storytelling. 

    Wave Of Patriotic Films Is Worth It: John Abraham

    Sreesanth Offered 'Nach Baliye', Awaits BCCI Order

    Sreesanth Offered 'Nach Baliye', Awaits BCCI Order
    Cricketer S. Sreesanth, who has had a tryst with showbiz too, says he has been approached to participate in dance reality TV show "Nach Baliye" with his wife, but he is yet to give a nod as he is awaiting the Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) decision on his punishment.  

    Sreesanth Offered 'Nach Baliye', Awaits BCCI Order