Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Jackie Shroff: Don't Let Stardom Affect You, That's Why I'm Still Here

    "Enjoy the stardom, the work and let your craft be appreciated by people but don't take stardom to your head," said Jackie Shroff  

    Jackie Shroff: Don't Let Stardom Affect You, That's Why I'm Still Here

    Hazel Undergoes Nose Surgery For Breathing Issue

    Hazel Undergoes Nose Surgery For Breathing Issue
    The once active social media user is back on Instagram after almost a month's break.    

    Hazel Undergoes Nose Surgery For Breathing Issue

    SRK Invites Arsenal Footballer Mesut ÖZil To India

    Superstar Shah Rukh Khan spent some "lovely" time with Arsenal footballer Mesut Özil at the Arsenal vs Newcastle United match in London.

    SRK Invites Arsenal Footballer Mesut ÖZil To India

    Web Shows Gave Gaurav Chopraa 'Contrasting Roles'

    "For the past two and a half years, I was focusing on digital platforms as I wanted to experiment with contrasting and different roles. An actor always tries to showcase varieties in their roles," Gaurav said in a statement.

    Web Shows Gave Gaurav Chopraa 'Contrasting Roles'

    What Ajay Devgn Said About #MeToo-Accused Alok Nath's Casting In New Film

    Actor Ajay Devgan on Tuesday refrained from commenting on the #MeToo allegations against his "De De Pyaar De" co-star Alok Nath, accused of rape by writer-director Vinta Nanda.    

    What Ajay Devgn Said About #MeToo-Accused Alok Nath's Casting In New Film

    Cinema Reflects Society, It'S Not In Isolation: Tabu

    Cinema Reflects Society, It'S Not In Isolation: Tabu
    Tabu was interacting with the media at the trailer launch of "De De Pyar De" along with her co-actors Ajay Devgn and Rakul Preet Singh, director Akiv Ali and producer Luv Ranjan here on Tuesday.    

    Cinema Reflects Society, It'S Not In Isolation: Tabu