Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Mouni Roy Explains How Naagin Led To Brahmastra

    "Ayan Mukherji (director) had seen something from Naagin and felt I could play the villain," said Mouni Roy  

    Mouni Roy Explains How Naagin Led To Brahmastra

    ‘Indian Idol’ Contestant Avanti Patel Duped Of Rs. 1.7 Lakh, Accused Posed As Banker

    The accused had phoned "Indian Idol" contestant Avanti Patel, 23 and her sister posing as an executive of a public sector bank, he said.

    ‘Indian Idol’ Contestant Avanti Patel Duped Of Rs. 1.7 Lakh, Accused Posed As Banker

    Salman Khan To Launch Another Venture By The Name Being Children

    Salman Khan, who recently ventured into television space when he turned producer for Kapil Sharma’s show, is also known for launching a lot of new faces in Bollywood. 

    Salman Khan To Launch Another Venture By The Name Being Children

    Is Producer Kumar Mangat Planning To Make A Film On Shiney Ahuja's Life?

    Bollywood actor Shiney Ahuja, who rose to fame with movie Gangster that also starred Kangana Ranaut, was accused of rape which gave his career a halt. 

    Is Producer Kumar Mangat Planning To Make A Film On Shiney Ahuja's Life?

    Sanjay Dutt Wears 35 Kilos Armor For 'Panipat' To Play King Ahmad Shah Durrani

    Sanjay Dutt is currently shooting in Jaipur for his upcoming historical war drama Panipat. The actor will be essaying the role of Ahmad Shah Durrani, the founder of Durrani empire. 

    Sanjay Dutt Wears 35 Kilos Armor For 'Panipat' To Play King Ahmad Shah Durrani

    Trend Of Making Films On Unsung Heroes Should Continue: Jackie Shroff

    Jackie Shroff, who plays RAW founder director in "Romeo Akbar Walter", says the trend of bringing the story of unsung on celluloid should continue.

    Trend Of Making Films On Unsung Heroes Should Continue: Jackie Shroff