Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'Badhaai Ho' To Be Remade In South Indian Languages

    Producer Boney Kapoor is set to remake last year's hit Hindi film "Badhaai Ho" in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada.

    'Badhaai Ho' To Be Remade In South Indian Languages

    Insecurities Push You To Do Better: Arjun Kapoor

    Actor Arjun Kapoor, who made his debut in Bollywood in 2012, says the profession comes with a lot of insecurities which push him to do better.

    Insecurities Push You To Do Better: Arjun Kapoor

    ‘Inshallah’: Alia Bhatt, Salman Khan To Star In Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Love Story

    Actress Alia Bhatt has teamed up with filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali for the film titled "Inshallah".    

    ‘Inshallah’: Alia Bhatt, Salman Khan To Star In Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Love Story

    ‘PM Narendra Modi’ Biopic: Vivek Oberoi Releases Second Poster Of The Biography

    Actor Vivek Anand Oberoi, who is gearing up for the release of "PM Narendra Modi", unveiled the film's second poster on Tuesday.    

    ‘PM Narendra Modi’ Biopic: Vivek Oberoi Releases Second Poster Of The Biography

    Katrina Kaif Says Bye-Bye To Her Audi, Buys Herself A New Luxurious Car

    Adding to her collection of luxurious cars, actress Katrina Kaif just bought herself a brand new Range Rover.    

    Katrina Kaif Says Bye-Bye To Her Audi, Buys Herself A New Luxurious Car

    India Super Competitive, Exciting Market: Netflix CEO

    India, where Reliance Jio Infocomm has set an example for the world to emulate by widening low-cost Internet access, is a competitive and exciting market with its diverse dynamics and large pool of stories, says Netflix CEO Reed Hastings.

    India Super Competitive, Exciting Market: Netflix CEO