Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'Brahmastra' At Kumbh Mela: Alia, Ranbir Launch Logo On Mahashivratri

    Alia took to Instagram to share the update. "Hi guys, we are on the plane and we are on our way to Kumbh 2019," she said in an Instagram story.

    'Brahmastra' At Kumbh Mela: Alia, Ranbir Launch Logo On Mahashivratri

    Parmish Verma Starrer Punjabi Remake Of 'Singham' To Release On August 9

    Parmish Verma Starrer Punjabi Remake Of 'Singham' To Release On August 9
    Actor Ajay Devgn, who starred in the Hindi version of "Singham", on Monday announced the Punjabi remake of the film will release on August 9.

    Parmish Verma Starrer Punjabi Remake Of 'Singham' To Release On August 9

    A Politically Aware Actor Must Take A Stand: John Abraham

    A Politically Aware Actor Must Take A Stand: John Abraham
    John Abraham says it would make sense for someone to make a political statement only if the individual is well-versed with the larger political situation of the world.

    A Politically Aware Actor Must Take A Stand: John Abraham

    RAW - Romeo Akbar Walter Trailer: John Abraham Goes Undercover As A Spy In Pakistan

    Actor John Abraham on Monday said action needs to be taken against terrorism instead of waging a war against a country or religion.

    RAW - Romeo Akbar Walter Trailer: John Abraham Goes Undercover As A Spy In Pakistan

    Kangana Ranaut Defends Her 'Pakistan Destruction' Statement

    Actress Kangana Ranaut says her "Pakistan destruction" comment came naturally to her after hearing about the Pulwama terror attack.

    Kangana Ranaut Defends Her 'Pakistan Destruction' Statement

    Priyanka's Tweet About India-Pakistan Tension Prompts Petition To UNICEF

    Priyanka's Tweet About India-Pakistan Tension Prompts Petition To UNICEF
    Actress Priyanka Chopra has been trolled by some Pakistanis for a tweet cheering India's cross-LoC strike in Balakot.    

    Priyanka's Tweet About India-Pakistan Tension Prompts Petition To UNICEF