Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    My Success Filled With Setbacks, Failure: Ameen Sayani

    Celebrated radio presenter Ameen Sayani says his success story includes a lot of obstacles but he would like to remember the triumphs over failures.

    My Success Filled With Setbacks, Failure: Ameen Sayani

    Movie Date: Ranveer Kisses Deepika Post ‘Gully Boy’ Screening

    Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone have always been comfortable with public display of affection. After the screening of his music drama film, ‘Gully Boy’, Ranveer was seen being mushy with his wife.

    Movie Date: Ranveer Kisses Deepika Post ‘Gully Boy’ Screening

    Payback Time: Karan Johar Decides Not To Search For Love

    Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar has been looking for love for 46 years but on this Valentine’s Day he has decided not to search for love anymore.

    Payback Time: Karan Johar Decides Not To Search For Love

    Twinkle Khanna Is 24X7 Entertaining, Says Akshay Kumar

    Twinkle Khanna Is 24X7 Entertaining, Says Akshay Kumar
    Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar is celebrating Valentine’s Day with his "entertaining" wife, Twinkle Khanna. 

    Twinkle Khanna Is 24X7 Entertaining, Says Akshay Kumar

    B-Town Condemns 'Cowardly' Pulwama Terror Attack

    The film fraternity condemned the dastardly terror attack in which 43 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district on Thursday, terming it a "cowardly" act.

    B-Town Condemns 'Cowardly' Pulwama Terror Attack

    Have Not Proved Myself At All: Arshad Warsi

    He has been in the Hindi film industry for over two decades now, but actor Arshad Warsi says that he has much more to offer as he has still not proved himself in Bollywood.

    Have Not Proved Myself At All: Arshad Warsi