Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Makers Repackage Iconic Songs For Today's Generation, Says Sonakshi Sinha

    Actress Sonakshi Sinha, who has featured in the video of the recreated version of "Mungda" song, says that makers repackage iconic songs for the current generation.    

    Makers Repackage Iconic Songs For Today's Generation, Says Sonakshi Sinha

    Want To Show My Versatility As An Actress: Vaani Kapoor

    Want To Show My Versatility As An Actress: Vaani Kapoor
    Vaani Kapoor says she wants to show her versatility as an actress in her upcoming films.

    Want To Show My Versatility As An Actress: Vaani Kapoor

    Neha Kakkar On Performing With Her Siblings: 'All The Three Of Us Are A Huge Positive Influence On Each Other'

    The former "Indian Idol" contestant featured in an episode of Royal Stag Barrel Select "MTV Unplugged S8" earlier this month.

    Neha Kakkar On Performing With Her Siblings: 'All The Three Of Us Are A Huge Positive Influence On Each Other'

    Shabana Azmi Down With Swine Flu

    Shabana Azmi Down With Swine Flu
    Noted actress Shabana Azmi has been diagnosed with swine flu during a routine check-up for cough and cold. She is recuperating in the hospital.

    Shabana Azmi Down With Swine Flu

    Farah Khan to New Mother Ekta Kapoor: It’s a Life-Changing Event to Have Children

    Choreographer-turned-filmmaker Farah Khan says she is happy for Ekta Kapoor, who has become a mother of a baby boy and says that having children is a life changing event.    

    Farah Khan to New Mother Ekta Kapoor: It’s a Life-Changing Event to Have Children

    Madhuri Dixit Signed First Autograph As M. Ye Mohini Hai, One Fan Told The Other

    Madhuri Dixit Signed First Autograph As M. Ye Mohini Hai, One Fan Told The Other
    Actress Madhuri Dixit Nene recalled her "first public recognition" after the release of her film "Tezaab" in 1988.    

    Madhuri Dixit Signed First Autograph As M. Ye Mohini Hai, One Fan Told The Other