Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    No Political Agenda Behind 'The Accidental Prime Minister' Release: Anupam Kher

    No Political Agenda Behind 'The Accidental Prime Minister' Release: Anupam Kher
    Anupam spoke at the Bombay Stock Exchange along with the presenter of the film Jayantilal Gada here on Friday.

    No Political Agenda Behind 'The Accidental Prime Minister' Release: Anupam Kher

    Don't Screen 'The Accidental Prime Minister': Shiromani Akali Dal Delhi

    In a letter to cinema halls, Ramandeep Singh, President of Shiromani Akali Dal Delhi, Youth Wing, said that such films are a "serious attack on the minorities by the anti-minority forces such as RSS."

    Don't Screen 'The Accidental Prime Minister': Shiromani Akali Dal Delhi

    Change Of 'Cheat India' Title Is Illogical, Ridiculous: Emraan Hashmi

    "Why Cheat India" is about the education system. It marks Emraan's debut as a producer.    

    Change Of 'Cheat India' Title Is Illogical, Ridiculous: Emraan Hashmi

    'The Accidental Prime Minister' Screening Stopped In Ludhiana

    Screening of the the Bollywood film, "The Accidental Prime Minister" was stopped in a multiplex in Punjab's Ludhiana city on Friday following protests by Congress party activists.

    'The Accidental Prime Minister' Screening Stopped In Ludhiana

    When Sai Tamhankar Hated Looking In Mirror

    Actress Sai Tamhankar had gained about 10 kg for a film. She says there were times when she hated looking in mirror.

    When Sai Tamhankar Hated Looking In Mirror

    Banning Indian Content In Pakistan Is Wrong, Says Javed Akhtar

    Veteran poet, lyricist and screenwriter Javed Akhtar says that restricting art in the name of culture damage is wrong and such things should not happen, neither in Pakistan nor India.

    Banning Indian Content In Pakistan Is Wrong, Says Javed Akhtar