Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Hrithik Roshan Turns 45; Ex-Wife Sussanne Says 'Shine On'

    Hrithik Roshan Turns 45; Ex-Wife Sussanne Says 'Shine On'
    Despite their split, the two continue to be friends.

    Hrithik Roshan Turns 45; Ex-Wife Sussanne Says 'Shine On'

    Big B Rides A Bullock Cart; Starts Shooting For ‘Jhund’

    Amitabh Bachchan shared a few pictures on Twitter of his upcoming film, 'Jhund' on Wednesday.

    Big B Rides A Bullock Cart; Starts Shooting For ‘Jhund’

    Terms Like Chest-Thumping Nationalism, Jingoism Used To Shame People: Kangana

    Terms Like Chest-Thumping Nationalism, Jingoism Used To Shame People: Kangana
    Ranaut, who spoke on nationalism during the launch of a song from her new film "Manikarnika", said she agreed with lyricist Prasoon Joshi and writer Vijayendra Prasad who articulated the same views.    

    Terms Like Chest-Thumping Nationalism, Jingoism Used To Shame People: Kangana

    PM Modi's Bollywood Selfie With Ranveer Singh, Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt And Other Stars

    Karan, who was a part of past industry meetings with the PM, led the delegation which included names like Ekta Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Sidharth Malhotra, Ayushmann Khurrana, Rajkummar Rao, Vicky Kaushal and Bhumi Pednekar.

    PM Modi's Bollywood Selfie With Ranveer Singh, Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt And Other Stars

    Winning Battle Against Cancer Has Made Me A Better Performer: Actress Manisha Koirala

    I know that these days, when I hear a story and read the character that I would perform, I go a bit deeper into it, I try to connect with the mind of my character, and there is certain nuance I look for."

    Winning Battle Against Cancer Has Made Me A Better Performer: Actress Manisha Koirala

    Was Confident Of My Film Choices: Ayushmann Khurrana

    He is glad to be a part of an era when talent is recognised -- a fact validated with his consecutive hits in the year gone by. 

    Was Confident Of My Film Choices: Ayushmann Khurrana