Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
Hollywood

'La La Land', 'Moonlight' directors thought Oscars goof-up was a 'prank'

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Mar, 2017 12:56 PM
  • 'La La Land', 'Moonlight' directors thought Oscars goof-up was a 'prank'
"La La Land" director Damien Chazelle and "Moonlight" helmer Barry Jenkins thought the goof-up that led to the wrong film being announced as the Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards, was a prank.
 
Actor-filmmaker Warren Beatty and actress Faye Dunaway presented the Best Picture award of the gala to "La La Land" instead of the real winner -- "Moonlight", at the award ceremony on February 26.
 
"Everything looked so energised. I, at first, thought there was some kind of prank going on," Chazelle told variety.com.
 
Jenkins said: "It's messy, but it's kind of gorgeous. You have these two groups of people who came together for a second. There's a picture with me hugging (‘La La Land' producer) Jordan (Horowitz), and (‘Moonlight' producer) Adele (Romanski) has her arm on his shoulder. That's what the moment was."
 
What was strange for Jenkins was that he quickly had to change his emotions and deliver an acceptance speech for an Oscar only minutes earlier.
 
"I had something that I had prepared to say, and that thing went completely out the window.
 
"I've been saying that (co-writer) Tarell (Alvin McCraney) and I are that kid in the film, and that kid does not grow up to make a piece of art that gets eight Academy Award nominations," Jenkins said. 
 
"It's a dream I never allowed myself to have. When we were sitting there, and that dream of winning didn't come true, I took it off the table. But then I had to very quickly get back into that place. And my first thought was to get to the stage to give Jordan a hug as quickly as possible," he added.
 
The moment was handled gracefully.
 
"It's weird to be friendly with someone, but to feel like there's a mano-a-mano thing, which I guess is the nature of the Oscars," Chazelle said.
 
"So it was nice to explode that myth a little bit on a big stage," he added.

MORE Hollywood ARTICLES

Eva Mendes Eats In Moderation

Actress Eva Mendes says she eats whatever she wants but only in "moderation" and works out "at least" three times a week to remain fit.

Eva Mendes Eats In Moderation

Canadian Actor Rick Ducommun Dies At 62 In A Vancouver Hospice

Canadian Actor Rick Ducommun Dies At 62 In A Vancouver Hospice
Leslie Ducommun says her husband died on June 12 in a Vancouver hospice, where he was surrounded by family.

Canadian Actor Rick Ducommun Dies At 62 In A Vancouver Hospice

It's Over! Charlize Theron, Sean Penn part ways

It's Over! Charlize Theron, Sean Penn part ways
Actress Charlize Theron and Sean Penn have reportedly gone splitsville after more than 18 months of dating.

It's Over! Charlize Theron, Sean Penn part ways

Britney Spears Spent Almost $25,000 On Her Dogs

Singer Britney Spears reportedly spent almost $25,000 on her dogs last year, including $14,720 on a sitter to watch them while she was busy working.

Britney Spears Spent Almost $25,000 On Her Dogs

Alec Baldwin Welcomes Son

Actor Alec Baldwin and his wife Hilaria Baldwin have welcomed their second child, Rafael Thomas Baldwin.

Alec Baldwin Welcomes Son

Emma Stone Regrets Deleting Emails

Emma Stone Regrets Deleting Emails
Actress Emma Stone regrets deleting "thousands of emails" after her personal email address and phone number were posted online during the Sony hacking scandal.

Emma Stone Regrets Deleting Emails