Chef Anjum Anand has worked across the world in innovative restaurants but her real love is delicious and stylish food that is simple enough to cook at home.
• 4 tbsp vegetable oil
• ¾ tsp each Nigella seeds, cumin seeds, brown mustard seeds, and fennel seeds
• 1-3 green chillies, stalks removed and pierced with the tip of a knife
• 400 g okra, tops removed and sliced lengthways ¾ of the way up so the stalk and okra is intact
• 3 small onions, finely sliced
• 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
• ¾ tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tbsp coriander powder
• ½-¾ tsp dried mango powder or to taste
• Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a large non-stick sauté pan. Add the seeds and once they are popping, add the onion and green chillies, cook over a medium heat until they are browned on the edges and soft.
Add the tomatoes, seasoning, remaining spices and stir to mix well; cook
for a few minutes or until the tomatoes are softening.
Add the okra, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the okra is soft and just cooked through, giving the pan a stir every few minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning and add dried mango powder if you would like it a bit tarter.